Cannot get my email accounts working

Apple Ipad 16gb tablet
August 20, 2010 at 06:58:16
Specs: Macintosh
Terry Pinnell
Jul 27, 1:31 pm

Long term PC user, never used Apple, I've had my iPad a few days and reckon I'm going to love it. This despite the culture shock and my initial discomfort with the (IMO non-intuitive) iTunes on my Windows XP desktop.

But I'm currently frustrated because I can't get my three email accounts working. Now spent some 20 hours or so, in vain. The three are:

Pipex Dialup: x...@dial.pipex.com (My main a/c; 99% of my usage.)

Googlemail: abc...@googlemail.com (And I can apparently use
abc...@gmail.com)

BT Internet (from my BT/Yahoo Broadband a/c): xyz...@btinternet.com

I have all these working OK on both my PC (using Forte's Agent, my
combined newsreader/email program); and on my smartphone (HTC Touch Pro 2 using Windows Mobile 6.1). These use different settings (largely because Agent supports only POP accounts, not IMAP).
But neither of these settings work on the iPad. Nor the few arbitrary
alterations I've tried so far.

I've registered on an iPad forum and posted an enquiry there. But if any
iPad user (or iPhone user - I'm guessing they have similar/identical
settings) have any of these 3 accounts then I'd greatly welcome some help please. Or any tips on how to home in methodically on a configuration that works?

Maybe it's as 'simple' as just changing the port number? But to what?!

Finally, I'm mystified as to why the large red DELETE button in the Email settings appears on only ONE of my 3 accounts (Googlemail). Why? How then can I delete the others if I want to start with a clean slate?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

archived from comp.mobile.ipad

See More: Cannot get my email accounts working

Report •

August 20, 2010 at 07:03:01
Terry Pinnell

Jul 27, 2:24 pm
Terry Pinnell <terrypinDEL...@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
>Finally, I'm mystified as to why the large red DELETE button in the Email settings appears on only ONE of my 3 accounts (Googlemail). Why? How then can I delete the others if I want to start with a clean slate?

Well, at least I've sorted that minor one. The dialog window you get when you open up an email account in Settings > Mail is just a bit too short!
The red Delete button is accessible in all cases with a little drag
upward. No idea why it wasn't made sufficiently deep to show the entire contents - there's lots of space.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Tom Hahn
Jul 28, 12:34 am

It took me a while to get mine to work also but finally came up with the following:

Gmail Account Information
Address = abc...@gmail.com
Password = whatever

Outgoing Mail Server
SMTP=smtp.gmail.com

Incoming Settings
Use SSL = On
Authentication = Password
IMAP Path Prefix = /
Server Port = 993

As I remember, the port number is what gave me the biggest problem.

HTH,
Tom

archived from comp.mobile.ipad

Report •

August 20, 2010 at 07:06:15
Terry Pinnell
Jul 28, 7:41 am

Thanks Tom, appreciate your helpful reply.

I now have Googlemail and BT Internet email accounts working on the iPad.

But it still rejects my main account, Pipex. That's 99% of my usage, so
I'm now getting desperate after almost 2 days of trying.

On my PC I use a POP account for Pipex because my email program (Agent) does not support IMAP. On my smartphone under WM 6.1 I use IMAP. The settings for both are shown in this combined screenshot:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/Pip...

Neither configuration works on the iPad.

Nor does the following configuration which DID work on my son's iPhone which I borrowed for a few days (before buying my iPad last weekend). That really surprises me. Here's the details:

POP Account Information
Name: Terry Pinnell
Address: terry...@dial.pipex.com

Incoming Mail Server
Host Name: pop.dial.pipex.com
Username: d...@dial.pipex.com
Password: xxxxxxxxxx

Outgoing Mail Server:
SMTP: smtpa...@dial.pipex.com

Use SSL: ON
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 995

Does any of the above give anyone any clue as to how I can get Pipex working on the iPad please?

Needless to say, getting hold of anyone in Pipex (now Tiscali) has so far
proved impossible.
--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

archived from comp.mobile.ipad

Report •

August 20, 2010 at 07:11:07
nospam
Jul 28, 8:02 am

In article <so4056tfr71jnluf1kp4odnk2imrl80...@4ax.com>, Terry Pinnell
<terrypinDEL...@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Use SSL: ON
> Authentication: Password
> Server Port: 995

turn this off. it's disabled on your winmo phone.

Todd Allcock
Jul 28, 12:32 pm
"nospam" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <so4056tfr71jnluf1kp4odnk2imrl80...@4ax.com>, Terry Pinnell
> <terrypinDEL...@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
>> Use SSL: ON
>> Authentication: Password
>> Server Port: 995
> turn this off. it's disabled on your winmo phone.

I was going to suggest that as well, but he did say he tried both configs on his iPad. In either case, an incorrect setting here should only screw up outgoing mail.

Terry, delete the account and start again, using the IMAP settings in your WinMo device on the iPad.

I KNOW you're 100% sure you entered it all correctly, just as I have been in your same situation, but the vast likelyhood is that you make a keypress error somewhere, or added a space after an entry the device is rejecting.

Take a deep breath, count to ten, and try it again fresh. If it worked on the iPhone, it'll work on an iPad.

This is one of those times using Outlook would've helped you (you've been a WinMo user long enough I know you've got a licensed copy kicking around somewhere!)- a neat iOS feature I really like is that iTunes can "harvest"your email settings from Outlook and transfer them to an iOS device for you without you having to enter them. I've pestered MS for years, (long before
I ever saw that in iTunes) asking why Activesync couldn't do that for WinMo devices. Seems sort of obvious and greatly speeds initial device setup.

archived from comp.mobile.ipad

Report •

Related Solutions

August 20, 2010 at 07:13:08
Terry Pinnell
Jul 28, 7:14 pm

Thanks Todd. I THINK I have a working configuration at last, but it's 00:12 UK time here so I'm going to sleep on it and check methodically in the morning.

I did indeed start again (once I'd figured out how to delete the email account; that large red button is oddly hidden until you drag).

And, yes, my research this morning revealed that (despite all the nasty things I've said about it) iTunes can 'sync' Outlook email account configurations. So my next step was going to be setting up the recalcitrant account in either Outlook Express or Outlook 2002 and using that facility.

A pre-requisite, of course, is that I first re-install iTunes. I
uninstalled it after my experiments with my son's iPhone. After
impulsively buying this iPad, I've been procrastinating, but I can't put it off much longer!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

archived from comp.mobile.ipad

Report •