|Well....there's no reason to format it, for just the sake of formatting it. Then next go around for that drive will either be a primary or a secondary HDD, so the format can be done at the OS load via the OS CD if you want to use it as a primary HDD, or you can format it IN Windows via Disk Management if you use it as a secondary drive. |
If you really feel the need to whack the HDD, D/L Darik's Boot & NUKE (DBAN), make bootable floppy or CD to run the DBAN program to wipe the drive.
Other testing (& erase) HDD utilities are available free from the HDD manufacturers websites; just D/L and create bootable floppies or CDs:
- Seagate/Maxtor (Maxtor acquired by Seagate): Seatools.
- Western Digital: DataLifeguard.
- Fujitsu: Fujitsu Drive Test (FJDT).
- Hitachi/IBM: Hitachi Drive Fitness (HDFT).
- Samsung: (HUTIL).
- Toshiba (Fujitsu, Samsung or Hitachi utilities may work).
MOOOOooove! OH and you're welcome!