|In Device Manager, open up the USB controllers folder by clicking once on the + before it, double click on any USB Root Hub, the tab for Power is at the top of the window that opens. |
"I have an Acer Aspire One with Windows XP Home installed ..."
Apparently that's a Netbook, but Aspire One is not the complete model.
It's Acer Aspire One AOxxxx
Locating the Model Number
Where is the model number located on a netbook?
The model number is located on the bottom of the netbook on a white label above the serial number.
Alternatively, the model number will be located in the BIOS which can be entered by pressing the F2 key when turning the netbook on. Once in the BIOS, it will be under the Information tab to the right of Product Name.
My notes -
"....how to check BIOS settings and what I'd be looking for in there?"
"...the BIOS which can be entered by pressing the F2 key when turning the netbook on."
The USB controllers entry of some sort will be somewhere in there - it must be enabled. Some bioses have a separate entry for enabling USB 2.0 support of some sort, but that would NOT cause no devices to be recognized when plugged into a USB port.
USB Ports Not Working
How should USB drivers be reinstalled for ports that are not working?
To remove and reinstall USB drivers, follow the procedure below.
1. Remove any USB devices that may be attached to the system.
2. Go to Device Manager, as follows:
Click on Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, and click on Device Manager
3. Click the + next to "Universal Serial Bus Controller"
4. Double click on the item(s) listed then choose uninstall. When prompted with "Are sure you want to remove," click Yes.
5. After all items are removed, close all open windows and restart the system.
When the system reboots, it will reinstall the USB drivers.
If the USB ports still do not operate, the unit may need service.
My notes - starting at the bottom of the list of devices there, RIGHT click on each one and choose Un-install.
If the USB ports still do not operate.....
- have you dropped the netbook, or physically jarred the netbook, or have you spillled liquid on the netbook, since the USB ports last worked properly ?