Solved TV tuner card and input device?

Self build / N/A
August 6, 2013 at 14:25:22
Specs: Vista Ultimate, SP2, 3.0Ghz/2Ghz
I have a question regarding TV tuner cards. I know that these cards have an onboard tuner to tune in TV programs. Do they also have an input where you can connect a camera, TV, vcr or DVD player? I've seen some of these cards with an S-video input. I'm assuming you can connect a TV to it to see the output of your TV on the computer rather than using the onboard tuner? I want to know if you can do that and encode and broadcast the output of the card with Windows Encoder.

See More: TV tuner card and input device?

Report •

August 6, 2013 at 14:54:27
✔ Best Answer
It depends on the TV tuner, but normally yes they have RCA & S video built-on (and sometimes FM), or as an adapter. Normally from there, if your device doesn't output RCA, you can get some type of adapter for it. Now if you are looking for HD, you'll want to look for HDMI. You can get tuners that are external or internal to your PC.

I dont have a tone of WME experience, but I dont believe it connects directly to a TV tuner, or there are specific ones that it will work with. I've read that there are work-arounds for that though with VLC.

Was there a specific adapter you were looking at? What type of connectivity do you need (from, camera, etc.) to the tuner?

Report •

August 6, 2013 at 17:32:10
I've been looking at some Hauppauge tuners. I understand they are the cadillac of TV Tuners. I would just connect my TV with an S-video connector to the input on the card. Then, using WME you can encode the output of the card and broadcast it from a port on your PC. I was looking into this to be able to access my TV from the internet but I don't think it will entirely work for me because I have a non-smart phone so I'd have to lug a laptop around to access my TV over the Internet.

I know about Sling box and what Xfinity and Verizon offer, but I get more fun out of trying to do it myself!

Report •

August 7, 2013 at 07:41:57
Hauppauge makes great tuners, and there is a ton of WME support with them. You can definitely accomplish what you are looking to accomplish with a Hauppauge card.

For S-video & Standard resolutions, something like this should work great:

For HD, this should work great:

And you could probably get a RCA -> S-Video adapter for the HD one, since it comes with a HDMI -> RCA cabling


Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question