Tip of Laptop Charger Melted. Charger barely charges laptop

Pny Technologies nvidia geforce fx5200 2...
March 14, 2012 at 07:07:23
Specs: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2, AMD Mobile Sempron 1.6GHz; 2GB
This all started when i needed a charger, so i found a generic charger for my pavilion ze2000, because it was a good deal for both a charger and battery on amazon. now the charger barely charges the computer, and the tip is getting cooked. is it the charger itself, or do i need to replace the power port itself? thats all im asking. thanks.

See More: Tip of Laptop Charger Melted. Charger barely charges laptop

Report •


#1
March 14, 2012 at 08:41:26
Sounds like the charger is the wrong one for your laptop. I suggest you stop using it.

Is the link below for the battery you bought? If so, is the charger listed there also the one you bought?

http://www.amazon.com/PRESARIO-Pavi...


Report •

#2
March 14, 2012 at 09:54:05
yes, i shouldve had a v..i mean i shouldve bought an hp stock charger, or a universal charger. thanks. :)

but, the universal charger i had was having one of its tips melt as well. so, ill try to get an hp stock charger, and see if the tip melts as well, and if it melts, it must the port itself.


Report •

#3
March 14, 2012 at 11:10:33
Are you sure your laptop isn't overheating? The vents in the bottom can be blown out occasionally with canned or compressed air.

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
March 14, 2012 at 12:19:26
The charger (AC adapter) must be putting out the proper voltage for your laptop and battery.

Laptop no video (or video problems), and battery, AC adapter, power jack T shooting.

See response 1:
http://www.computing.net/answers/ha...

If there is nothing wrong with your AC adapter or it's connection and the jack in the laptop.......

Your problem can be caused by internally shorted battery !

Laptop main batteries usually work as they should for a year or so, then they begin to rapidly deteriorate. From what I've seen, by two years they cannot be charged to anywhere near their full capacity, and it gets worse after that.
They often develop internal shorts when they are older. If the battery gets HOT rather than just warm after you have attempted to charge it for at least a half hour, or after you have been using the laptop for a while with the AC adapter plugged in, it's definitely internally shorted and you must replace it. Internally shorted batteries getting too hot have been known to cause the laptop to catch on fire.


Report •

#5
March 14, 2012 at 14:23:58
i did replace the battery with a new one.

Report •

#6
March 14, 2012 at 14:42:47
What happened to the original AC adapter for the laptop ?

If the AC adapter is putting out the proper voltage - 18.5 v - if the polarity of the voltage at the plug is correct - center positive , and if there's nothing wrong with the battery, then the plug that plugs into the laptop's jack should NOT get HOT.
Either you have a problem with the plug you're using, or with cord near that plug, or you have a problem with the jack or the jack's connection inside the laptop.

If the universal AC adapter has multiple plugs, the proper plug has the largest external diameter that will fit in the laptop's jack, and the smallest center hole that will fit over the center pin in the jack. The diameter of the center hole is more critical that the outside diameter - it that's too big you're likely to have problems charging the battery and powering the laptop on the AC adapter alone.

(DC plug) Connecter size:
Internal Diameter: 1.7mm
External Diameter: 4.8mm

If the battery gets HOT when the AC adapter is plugged in as I described, and if the AC adapter is putting out the proper voltage, it's polarity at the plug is correct, and if you're using the proper plug, it probably IS internally shorted, no matter how old it is !
.....

For maximum battery charging capacity you should "calibrate" the battery.

HP Notebook PCs - Calibrating the Notebook Battery in Microsoft Windows 98, ME, XP, and 2000
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...


Report •

#7
March 15, 2012 at 09:53:47
a puppy chewed it up.

Report •

#8
March 21, 2012 at 04:39:07
i received a factory charger and used the laptops original battery, and it still heats up. it has to be the port itself going bad.

Report •

#9
March 21, 2012 at 05:28:43
Try the replacement battery with the factory charger.

Report •

#10
March 21, 2012 at 06:57:04
Laptop no video (or video problems), and battery, AC adapter, power jack T shooting.

See response 1:
http://www.computing.net/answers/ha...


Report •

Ask Question