Tenant claim water from leaky roof damaged CDs & records

February 5, 2012 at 05:23:41
Specs: Windows 7
My tenant sells CDs and records. Afte more than a year, he claims that his CDs and records got damaged by the leaky roof in December 2010 and he could not sell them. I have no idea how CDs and records can get damaged by water. Can't you just dry them up? Is there something I can suggest he do to recover his CDs/records.

edited by moderator: Remove Email address. Personal replies cost extra.

See More: Tenant claim water from leaky roof damaged CDs & records

Report •

February 5, 2012 at 05:35:23
Saleable CDs and presume Vinyl records may still play in their respective players after exposure to water but usually they come in a case or cover and may also have a paper label glued to the vinyl. Water will obviously damage those things and render them unsuitable for sale, or drastically reduce their value as collectibles. Bottom line, It ain't about the music, It's about the money, And we don't respond by email so unless you really like getting spammed I suggest you edit out your email address.

Goin' Fishin' (Some day)

Report •

February 5, 2012 at 06:08:31
Damaged packaging will reduce the resale value of anything but twelve months does seem a long time to wait to submit a claim for damages.

What the tenant should have done is submit a notice of intent at the time the damage was caused and then if the goods could not be sold then submit a claim at a later dater date on the back of the previous notice.

At least that's how it works in the UK.


Report •

February 6, 2012 at 13:55:37
Why are you bothering with it? Let the insurance company deal with it.

In some places the responsibility is for the tenant to have renters insurance while others you may be responsible. In any case you need local laws so get a lawyer.

CD's and records don't get damaged from a leak as far as data is concerned. But people want jackets so some part may be damaged or he may have some loss but i doubt it is what he may be claiming.

Since he is running a business from your home, I'd tell him to take a hike. He needs insurance unless you knew he had special terms.

In any case you need legal advice not technical advice.

A Pit Bull is like a gun you can pet. And there is no safety on it.

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question