Solved speakers cables from old computer

September 18, 2011 at 00:09:32
Specs: Macintosh
I want to use my old speakers from my very old packard bell machine. These speakers plug into the monitor that they came with,which looks like a power cable from an adaptor and a normal jack.
I tried just connecting them to my Macbook but they wont work.
Is there any way I can use them so I dont have to shell out for another set?

See More: speakers cables from old computer

Report •

September 18, 2011 at 00:17:48
Are the speakers still being powered?

Report •

September 18, 2011 at 02:13:27
nope there are two cables one jack and one with a hole in the middel. There should be a way to make this a normal speaker that i can connect to my macbook?

Report •

September 18, 2011 at 02:48:53
✔ Best Answer
Hi Handy - if there is a volume control on one of the speakers, this would suggest there is an amplifier inside.

This will require power, and as such I would expect the voltage/watts to be specified on the speaker somewhere.

Under *NO* circumstances connect a power cable:-
a) to a voltage, different to what it is expecting
b) and/or a wattage lower than it is expecting.

Do not follow the cable details you have provided. Is there one or two cables?

Can you provide a google image link for the cable connector(s)?

How exactly were the speakers connected previously - to just the monitor and/or ??

One can experience problems with speaker jack plugs in that there are two sizes that are very close. Something like 3.5 and 4mm. A 3.5mm plug into a 4mm socket may not make the required contact(s).

Good Luck - Keep us posted.

Report •

Related Solutions

Report •

September 18, 2011 at 06:08:53
The green plug is the audio connection and the other is for power. The problem you face is that standard DC adapters come with the same male connector so in addition to buying an adapter of suitable voltage you would need a female/female connector.
The other problem is knowing whether the DC connection to the speakers is wired Pos/Neg or Neg/Pos. If you plug in power in the wrong direction you blow the speaker amplifier. So, unless there is a label on the speakers that says what voltage/amperage they require, and you can tell which way the DC needs to be connected, you will probably be better off to just buy a new set of speakers.

Goin' Fishin' (Some day)

Report •

September 18, 2011 at 08:16:26
Hi Richard,

Thank you for your advise. I hoped that I could use these speakers with small changes.
These plugs where connected to an audiocard. I hoped that a "wizkid" was going to say that it was an easy change
So I have to save money for a new boxes....

Thank you so much for your help: idisjunction, Mike Newcomb & Richard59

Greetings from not so handy at all! ;)

Report •

September 27, 2011 at 15:37:29
Hi Handy,

If you have the old Packard Bell and it is still working, you should be able to ascertain the voltage(s) and their polarity.

Maybe its manual advises these details.

If you cannot meter at the socket itself, it may be necessary to cut a short length off the speaker power cable including its plug. Strip the cable ends, connect to the Packard Bell and meter such.

Or meter from inside the speakers themselves.

Then install a 'standard' plug on the speaker cable and connect to a *SUITABLE* power source.

Do try and ascertain wattage to be on the safe side, which should be detailed somewhere on the speakers.

Good Luck - Keep us posted.

Report •

October 9, 2011 at 02:23:49
hi there!

I didn't throw the speakers away yet, because i think there must be a sollution.

made a picure again:

Report •

October 9, 2011 at 04:06:19
Hi Handy,

The label advises the operating voltage is 16 volts dc.

The label appears to be on a speaker, and is advising the speaker's *OUTPUT* is 5 watts per channel.

Try to ascertain the speaker's *INPUT* wattage, which I think should be stated on the monitor.

As a matter of interest, where are you based? I am in Hammersmith, West London.

Good Luck - Keep us posted.

Report •

Ask Question