SB Live! 5.1 is seen by XP but driver says no

October 28, 2011 at 19:40:22
Specs: Windows XP, Intel Prescot 3.2GHz
SB Live! 5.1 is seen by XP but driver says it's not found. Then the install aborts. This is a Dell Dimension 8400. I've been to the Dell site and the Creative site for drivers, but they both do the same thing. I have tried different PCI slots. Again, when I add the card the first time, Windows sees it and identifies it as a SoundBlaster card, but it can't find a driver and when installing the Creative driver it isn't found.

See More: SB Live! 5.1 is seen by XP but driver says no

Report •

#1
October 29, 2011 at 06:18:58
For starters, why are you installing a card? Does your motherboard have built-in sound? If it does, did you disable it in the BIOS & uninstall it's drivers? If not, you need to do that 1st. According to the following Dell link, the onboard sound is the ADI 1980 AC'97 Codec:

http://support.dell.com/support/edo...

You need to have the correct drivers for your card. There are numerous "Live! 5.1" models - standard 5.1, Digital, Gamer, Platinum, & one specific to Dell.

http://support.creative.com/Product...


Report •

#2
October 29, 2011 at 06:46:39
I did disable the onboard audio in the BIOS (strange thing though, there are no audio ports on the motherboard). This is the SB Live! 5.1 Digital card. I am installing it for my son since there are no other audio ports on the PC, otherwise I would have left well enough alone. ;-) Also, I do see in Device Manager - Other a series of "? Audio" entries. I uninstalled them, removed the SB card and rebooted, but the came right back. This was with the onboard audio disabled, so I have no idea what it it finding. Then I install the SB card (onboard audio still disabled) and XP sees the new hardware and identifies as a SB card. Then I go to install the drivers (from DELL for my Service Tag) and it says it can't find the card.

Report •

#3
October 30, 2011 at 06:58:20
If the soundcard isn't a Dell card, you're using the wrong driver.

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
October 30, 2011 at 07:20:24
Found the solution. There was one self-install driver set that wasn't in the .cab format, and I was able to use winrar to open the .exe and extract just the driver files. Then I went into device manager and updated the driver manually pointing to the extracted files and all is well. :-)

Report •

Ask Question