Requirement to convert US to UK power supply

September 22, 2010 at 23:28:10
Specs: Windows vista, Studio XPS 435 mt
Have 110V US computer and plugs, and need to boot system in UK. What adaptor, leads, plugs do I need, to prevent catastrophy

See More: Requirement to convert US to UK power supply

September 23, 2010 at 13:00:48
That depends on the power supply in your computer. Most PSUs are rated for 115V or 230V and 50/60Hz. Some automatically adjust to the input voltage. You will need an adapter to connect to European outlets. Look in your junk draw and you may find out you already have one. Many devices ship with them.

I believe the UK uses 230V @50Hz. If you have a selector switch on the rear of your PSU then you would need to switch over to 230V.

Report •

September 23, 2010 at 14:26:15
The UK does use 230v @ 50 Hz. However the plugs and sockets are different than any other European country. In fact most European countries have there own different standards so if you are travelling around Europe you are going to need quite a collection, although they have standardised on 230v 50 Hz.

All power sockets are three pins with square pins. LIke this:

Scroll down to BS 1363. All sockets are polarises, earthed and are rated at 13 amps. The plugs themselves contain a fuse that can be from 2 amps to 13 amps depending on what it is connected to. Your computer and monitor will need a 13 amp fuse. A modem/router will make do with a 2 Amp fuse.

You can get a suitable lead here:


Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question