Replace Hard Disk

November 10, 2009 at 22:46:31
Specs: Windows XP Home Edition
Hello. Please help me. Recently I replaced my original 40 GB hard drive and install new Western Digital 250 GB hard drive. Using Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools I made two partitions on the new hard drive and transferred all data from old hard drive. Now everything works great except recovery options. In this computer to start recovery need hold down F10 during POST, but now this options doesn't work. When I press F10 during start up, just Windows starts like in normal start up. After partitioned new hard drive Windows gave letter "L" to small 7.5 GB partition, I renamed it on "HP_RECOVERY (D)", same like in the old hard drive, but it still not work. How to make recovery partition active? I want that everything will work like in the original drive. Computer HP Pavilion a1203w.

See More: Replace Hard Disk

Report •

November 11, 2009 at 13:13:00
LONG way.

For the most part it is a partition of some kind. You'd have to use a tool that would tell you the partition number or better yet one that can change it.

Then you'd have to image it with dd or cat or partimage or whatever to most likely a very exact partition. Not only would the partition size need to be exact but it's placement. Not always but to be sure I would place it on the same the old on.

Then might need to copy the mbr and view it to see if the F10 is part of the deal. Now this gets kind of complex. You'd need to look at the full boot loader for code.

The change the partition type back to what it was originally.

Even then it may or may not work.

SHORT way, maybe.

Use partimage or other partition copy software to copy the partition and then change the partition number to what it was.

Playing to the angels
Les Paul (1915-2009)

Report •

November 11, 2009 at 13:32:26
You need to clone the old partitions to the new drive.
Coping does not work as you have learned.

Specifically you clone partition to partiton starting with the first partition. When you go to do the OS partition clone you will have the option of expanding to use the rest of the disk. Do so.


Highly recommend you take it to a professional computer hardware person and have them do the transfer. It will save the cost of the software you will need and any chance of messing up.

Report •

November 12, 2009 at 01:52:32
To iefro
Thank you for quick response, but I’m not very professional in the computing technology, so, what does it mean “dd or cat” and “mbr”. Can you explain this in more detail. Thanks.

Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question