Recover data from broken External HDD

December 5, 2010 at 13:48:37
Specs: Windows Vista
Hi guys,

I dropped my 500gb seagate external hard drive and the usc port on the hard drive has become detached and is moving around inside. Is there anyway I can still back up my data? i.e. hard drive dock perhaps?

See More: Recover data from broken External HDD

Report •

December 5, 2010 at 14:06:54
Hard drives don't have a USB port on them.

The external drive is an external enclosure (case) with circuitry that connects to a regular laptop (2.5") or desktop (3.5") hard drive inside of it. If the hard drive inside the external enclosure is not damaged, it will work fine in a replacement external enclosure.

If it has a laptop (2.5") hard drive inside of it, that's more likely to have been damaged by you dropping the external drive than a desktop (3.5") hard drive.

USB 2.0 connected external drive enclosures are available in most places locally from places that have computer parts for $25 or less and up. You need to get one that is for the same type of hard drive as yours - the same size, 2.5" or 3.5", the same type, SATA or EIDE (PATA).

Report •

December 5, 2010 at 14:43:39
Order one of the devices linked below. It is much more flexible than an enclosure. Can connect many different types of drives and is cheap enough. I have on of these and it works.

Report •

December 5, 2010 at 14:53:36
I live in the UK, do they ship abroad.

Report •

Related Solutions

December 5, 2010 at 15:31:50
OtheHill - your link doesn't work - did you copy a shortened link in a post on this site ?
.... will not ship to the UK - nor will

I think OtheHill was pointing to an adapter like this:

You can find similar in the UK.
They are more versatile, BUT this one and ALL of the ones similar to this I've looked up the detailed specs for can't run SATA II hard drives, capable of a burst data transfer speeds up to 300mbytes/sec = 3gbits/sec, any faster than SATA specs - 150mbytes/sec = 1.5gbits/sec (SATA drives use 10 bits per byte, not 8).
An external drive enclosure has no problem runnng SATA II drives at up to their full burst data transfer speed, within the enclosure. The way it connects to the computer is it's data transfer speed limitation, unless it's connected via an eSATA connection.
If your external drive is fairly recent, it probably has a SATA II drive

Report •

December 5, 2010 at 16:34:24
I have this external hard drive:

i want to take out the external hard drive from this enclosure and place it in a different enclosure so i can back up my documents onto my pc as i cannot do this with the current enclosure as i have broken the USB cable slot which connects the External hardrive to my laptop.

What is the best item to buy to do the above on?

Report •

December 5, 2010 at 17:07:30
You can buy another enclosure but as tubesandwires stated you need to first identify the type and size (not capacity) of the hard drive so you can get the correct type of enclosure.

Keep in mind the hard drive may also be damaged and not work anymore.

The link I was pointing to was showing a device like the one tubes linked. It can connect either size and either type but is not as suitable for permanent use. does NOT ship to the UK.

Report •

December 5, 2010 at 18:07:29
Your external drive:

Interface USB 2.0
Performances 5400 rpm
Transfer Rate Up to 480 Mbps

136.60 x 80.01 x 17.60 mm
5.35" x 3.14" X .69"

EDIT - the ad got the length wrong

Seagate (ST905004EXD101-RK)

Height 17.6mm (0.69 in)
Width 80.01mm (3.15 in)
Length 141.29mm (5.56 in)

EDIT - it doesn't say there whether it's a SATA hard drive, but no drive maker has made a 500gb EIDE (PATA) 2.5" drive for many years. If you want to confirm it's a SATA drive, look up the model on the Seagate web site.
EDIT 2 - it doesn't say on the Seagate web site either !

It's a SATA II laptop (2.5") drive inside that

USB 2.0 Transfer Rate Up to 480 Mbps - that's in bits /sec - about 48 mbytes/sec max burst data transfer rate

If you don't have a desktop computer or a laptop computer that has an eSATA port (one can be added to most desktop computers that have a SATA controller), then you could get another USB 2.0 SATA 2.5" external enclosure.
Or you could use an adapter like the one in response 4 - no fancy case for the hard drive though.

If you DO have a eSATA port or if you can add one, you could get a combo USB 2.0 / eSATA SATA 2.5" external enclosure, or an eSATA SATA 2.5" external enclosure, which would yield you the fastest data transfer rate, for a bit more than a USB 2.0 one.

Report •

December 6, 2010 at 00:21:20
ive managed to find a few interesting things on this uk site regarding external enclosures. which of the following do u think is best for me tu purchase to back up my data?

Item 1:

Item 2:

Item 3:

Item 4:

Item 5:

Item 6:

Item 7:

I mostly prefer the first two that's if they are suitable for my seagate hard drive!

Report •

December 6, 2010 at 04:34:17
Item 2 is the better of the first two. It has built in flash and card readers. Both are more expensive than an enclosure. Also not portable. They will however, be more dependable. Item 2 comes with a wall adapter, which is good.

My only concern is that you actually have a SATA drive and not an IDE. I suggest you open the enclosure you currently have and remove the hard drive. Below is a link showing the differences between IDE and SATA drives.

Report •

December 6, 2010 at 10:11:43
The Seagate site has no info about what the type of hard drive is inside it, and they have no info about how to open up the enclosure and remove the hard drive - all I can find about that is opening up the enclosure voids the (5 year) warranty.
However, it's likely it has a SATA II drive, since Seagate Expansion external drives are still currently being sold, and I found when I was searching for the max size of laptop EIDE (PATA) drive a couple years back that the hard drive manufacturers had not made EIDE (PATA) 500gb laptop hard drives for a few years back then - I searched and found only a few used ones.

If you want the best max burst data transfer rate possible, if you have an eSATA port on your computer , or if can add an eSATA port wiring adapter / bracket in a slot space on a desktop computer and have a spare SATA data header available on your mboard, your best choice is an external enclosure that supports both a USB 2.0 connection and an eSATA connection - an eSATA connection's max burst data transfer rate is much higher .

Report •

January 3, 2011 at 14:51:10
im in the same process...

The seagate hard drive is SATA

Report •

January 3, 2011 at 15:16:38

Thanks for the info.

If you HAVE NOT dropped the external hard drive, that's a whole different matter.

Troubleshooting USB device problems including for flash drives, external drives, memory cards.
See Response 1:

Check that out first.

Rarely, not all the ports on the back of a desktop case may be able to supply 500ma each.

If you have a desktop computer, Note that I answered a Topic on this site recently where a guy had an external drive, which does require the full 500ma, connected to a port on the back of a desktop case - it would not work properly when a webcam was in the port next to it, but it worked fine when the webcam was unplugged. Ports on the back of a desktop case often have two ports connected to the same USB controller module that are ports one above the other - you could try connecting the cable to one of those and leaving the other un-used.

Report •

March 3, 2011 at 13:30:51
Dkid you get it fixed ok? I have had the exact same problem. my hard drive fell off my table and the connector inside broke off and is moving about inside and I have no ideas about hardrives??

Report •

March 3, 2011 at 14:59:23

See the info in response 12.

If you checked that out thoroughly and tried things and that doesn't help....... can replace the external enclosure with a new one that is meant to be used with the same type of hard drive that's inside of it, 2.5" or 3.5", SATA or EIDE (PATA), whatever it is, cheaply. I recommend Vantec ones.
If it's an external drive with a 2.5" drive inside of it (portable external drive), the hard drive is tough, but it's more likely to have been damaged than a 3.5" drive.
If it's an external drive with a 3.5" drive inside of it (desktop external drive; always has a power adapter for the external enclosure), the hard drive is probably fine.

Report •

Ask Question