Solved problem dell xps l501x

June 13, 2013 at 05:39:08
Specs: Windows 7 home premium, intel i3 370m with 4 GB ddr3
Hello,

Yesterday I decided to renew the thermal past of my laptop. I already dismantled it before to clean the dust, so I already knew how to do it. So after I renewed the thermal paste, I tried to boot up the laptop. It was very strange, first the orange light turned on, the light that normally warns you that the battery is almost finished. And at the same time, the fan was blowing at full power. I put the battery in, and then I tried to boot again. This time the laptop hang at the BIOS screen, that one with the blue bar going from left to right. I dismantled the laptop again, because I taught I didn’t connect something properly. After I did this, the situation became worst; the laptop won’t even turn on. And as a bonus, the laptop is thinking that there is a battery inside the laptop so it’s showing the battery charging light. Because a video shows more than a thousand words, I made one that you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXz... I don't think it's relevant, but I have a Intel i3 370m and a GT420m (Nvidia).
All tips and advices are welcome,

Thanks in advance,

Aswin


See More: problem dell xps l501x

Report •


#1
June 13, 2013 at 07:35:17
Why did you feel the need to redo the thermal compound? Was the laptop overheating?

You MUST apply thermal compound correctly. See the link below and refer to i3 laptop, which uses the spread method.

Too much thermal compound is a bad as too little.

How did you perform the cleaning? If you used a vacuum cleaner you may have permanently damaged sensitive circuits. I recommend using dry compressed air from a can or compressor.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_a...


Report •

#2
June 13, 2013 at 08:34:54
Thanks for your reply,
The laptop was indeed overheating, it was getting way too hot and when I replaced the compound It was pretty hard. I didn't use that artic silver but a cooler master paste, and I just put a grain of rice in the middle. To clean I used compressed air from a can. But do you know a solution to this problem?
Aswin

Report •

#3
June 13, 2013 at 09:49:49
✔ Best Answer
Follow the instructions on applying the paste at the link above. You can use any brand. If you placed a dot in the center you did it wrong. Laptops use the spread method. Redo after thoroughly cleaning off any old paste/pad.

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
June 13, 2013 at 10:00:04
Do you think the laptop would worm again after that? It isnt starting up at all you see

Report •

#5
June 13, 2013 at 10:17:17
You may have something else connected wrong. You will need to go through all connections when you redo the thermal paste.

Try removing the large external battery with NO AC power connected and depress the power button a few times. Wait at least 30 seconds and then reinstall the battery and AC power. See what happens then


Report •

#6
June 13, 2013 at 13:17:41
Thanks a lot, I just disambled the whole laptop took the old thermal paste out, and put new one with the way in your link. When I connected the power it worked! Than I put the whole system back together, and now i'm typing this from my now working XPS L501x :D

Report •

#7
June 13, 2013 at 13:25:01
Good to hear. Thanks for getting back to us.

Report •

#8
June 13, 2013 at 14:24:09
No problem, and now the temperatures dropped with 15-20C :D (and now my palmrest isn't so hot anymore so I can finaly use it again)

Report •


Ask Question