|Thank you very much! This information helps me a lot. I do have a few more questions though. I should have given you guys a little more info on my PC. I have an older system so I want to make absolutely sure I don't get the wrong kind of psu.|
Here is what I have right now-
HP Pavilion a320n computer.
My current psu is this one-
Along with the following-
A7N8X-LA (explorer 2) Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2.08ghz.
2 GB DDR3200 memory.
120 GB hard drive.
Windows XP Home Edition.
Nvidia GeForce 4MX w/64 MB shared video memory (Current Video Card).
DVD Rom drive
3 1/2 floppy drive
7 card reader
Occasional USB powered devices (not all the time)
What I want to know for sure, is-
1. Will ANY 20 pin ATX power supply work with my PC? I have read articles that some companies make it so you must use OEM power supples. How do I tell?
2. All those cables and plugs coming out of a psu, do all power supplies come with the appropriate cables? Is it possible to use cables from my current psu if a new one lacks an essential cable? Also, what about EXTRA cables? Some units have PCI-E cables, which my computer has no use for.
3. Fans. Some units have 120mm fans or bigger. Can any type of fan be used with my current HP factory computer case? My current PSU has a small fan (80mm?) with the vent on the back. I have seen 120mm fans that have the whole top (or bottom?) of the psu open. My current psu is located in the top-rear area of the case. Will those units with 120mm open top (or bottom?) fans work properly in my case?
4. The 12 volt rail again. I have read and been told how important this is, but I must ask, since my older computer probably relies more heavily on the 3.3 and 5v parts of the psu, is a very powerful 12 volt rail really necessary for JUST a new Video Card, like the two I suggested at the beginning of this thread?
5. Does any company make a psu with a single 12 volt rail that has about 30 amps on 3.3, 5, and 12? That would probably be ideal, if all my research is correct.
If anyone can help me answer these questions, or point me to info that has the answers, I would greatly appreciate it!