Power on followed by instant power off.

Microsoft Windows xp professional w/serv...
October 16, 2009 at 10:13:50
Specs: Windows XP
I have an older Athlon XP 1800+, Asus
AV7333-x MB, 1GB Corsair Memory, 512MB
6200 GeForce GPU and a 250W PSU.

I recently purchased an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU
and replaced my 1800+ chip. Left in only the
CPU, Vid Card and Mem, powered on and so
do all the fans but within 3 seconds it
automatically powers off.

I've put back my 1800+ CPU and its working
fine. I'm thinking it may have something to do
with the PSU and not having enough juice to
power the new CPU.

Any suggestions/advice from you
knowledgeable experts? Am I correct in
thinking it could be lack of power and perhaps
I should upgrade to a 400W PSU? Thanks for
any help y'all can provide.

See More: Power on followed by instant power off.

Report •

October 16, 2009 at 10:55:22
i'm assuming you verified that the CPU sockets are the same.

it's possible that you didn't properly apply thermal grease and the Heat Sink/Fan (HSF) when you installed the new CPU. If this was the case, though, i would **think** that you'd have had trouble putting the old CPU back as well. Did you use thermal grease? did you clean off the old residue first? did you apply too much?

The only other way to test without spending more money is to unplug all the unnecessary peripherals from the Power Supply Unit (PSU). Disconnect all Hard Disk Drives (HDDs), use onboard video if supported and take out the video card, remove all PCI cards (sound, network, etc), and disconnect your optical drives (CD/DVD). You should only have a PSU, Motherboard (mobo), CPU, and RAM. With this config, you should be able to get into the BIOS.

Report •

October 16, 2009 at 11:24:38
Which version of the 3000+ did you get? 400MHz FSB CPUs are NOT supported by your board. But assuming the CPU you have IS supported, you need to update the BIOS to the latest version using the 1800+, THEN install the 3000+.


Report •

October 16, 2009 at 11:31:08
Both processors are Socket A (462).

Like UpAndComing,I suspect cpu overheating too; that board has ASUS C.O.P. cpu overheat protection and will shut down in a hurry.

Here's how to apply thermal interface material for that processor...



Good catch jam. The 333Mhz flavor should read something like AXDA3000DKV4D and the 400Mhz flavor AXDA3000DKV4E.


Report •

Related Solutions

October 16, 2009 at 11:54:49
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Yes, I do have the KV4D version. Additionally, I checked
Asus' website before making the purchase to ensure that my
bios version (1003) and PCB Rev.2.01. were supported.

I may update my bios to the newest verision 1005, though I'm
not a big fan of that in case I end up with a huge paper weight.

I'll try and apply some more thermal grease and see if that
helps as well.

Does anyone here think it could be a lack of power? I have 2
optical drives, 1 hard drive, 1 floppy drive, 1.5gb mem, cpu fan,
512MB APG 4X Video Card, and the CPU all running on

Report •

October 16, 2009 at 11:59:26
NO NO NO, not 'more' thermal paste. Possibly 'less' or 'correctly'.

Report •

October 16, 2009 at 12:06:04
Thanks aegis1.

I checked SkipCox's link and I think I'll need to remove the old
thermal grease that was left on from before using some Iso.
then apply a thin amount of thermal grease.

Just one more question, when I remove the thermal grease
and I'm using ISO alcohol, the Artic Silver article reads to 'rub'
off the grease from my CPU Core. Do I use simply my finger
and rub gently, or is there a tool that would help in this

Thanks again everyone for the help. Its mucho appreciated! :)

Report •

October 16, 2009 at 12:08:47
Just checked YouTube for an instructional.

If anyone else is looking, here's the link:


Report •

October 16, 2009 at 13:40:31
A coffee filter is a good no lint device for removing old heat sink compound. Clean both the procesor and the heatsink...not so much as a fingerprint on either.


Report •

October 16, 2009 at 18:47:51
Usually when a good PSU powers up for a few seconds and then shuts off it's because it's detecting a problem with the stuff it's connected to--motherboard, drives. If your problem is only associated with the cpu then maybe you got a bad cpu.

But yeah, first verify the cpu is firmly seated--no bent pins--and paste and heatsink/fan attached correctly.

Report •

October 26, 2009 at 10:38:49
don't use your finger - the oils from your skin are bad for the thermal conductivity.

Report •

Ask Question