PC BANGED turning on at wall outlet. Advice?

March 6, 2011 at 11:27:09
Specs: N/A
Hi all.

I was about to do some stuff on my main PC. I went to the wall outlet, flicked the switch next to the socket (A 4 way adapter is using this wall socket, which I use to connect my PC, Monitor, and Network switch) and BANG!

I immediately turned off at the wall outlet and pulled the plug out! My partner said she saw a spark around the PC. With this, all sockets were shut off thanks to the switchboard. I turned my switchboard back on, turning back on the TV, etc.

Of course, I have not attempted to turn on the PC at the wall. I have unplugged everything behind it PC, opened the case and checked the inside. There was no smell and I cannot see any signs of where the issue is based.

I immediately thought it could have been the PSU as I only turned on at the wall outlet. I did not hit the POWER button on the PC!

I have had experience where an old PC I had made a 'bang'. However, this was much more obvious as the PSU made a distinct burning type smell and it was very hot in one area. In this case, I just purchased a new PSU and all was fine.

However, with this new incident, the bang was much LOUDER and happened before I actually turned the PC on. Of course, having no smell completely separates my current situation from the last.

I don't have another PSU. So, before I start buying things, or take it in to be seen, has anyone else came across something like this before?

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO
PSU: Corsair TX-850
Graphic Card (PCI-e): Inno3D's GeForce GTX 260

If anyone has any input regarding, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks!!


See More: PC BANGED turning on at wall outlet. Advice?

Report •

#1
March 6, 2011 at 11:57:47
"I did not hit the POWER button on the PC!"

That wouldn't matter, since you'd have power at the power supply the moment you turned on the "switch next to the socket".

"With this, all sockets were shut off thanks to the switchboard"

I gather you mean that you threw the circuit breaker. Still doesn't mean much since loose or faulty wiring in the socket could have caused that.

"My partner said she saw a spark around the PC."

That would indicate something severely wrong at the PC, but not a guarantee of it.

"...the bang was much LOUDER and happened before I actually turned the PC on. Of course, having no smell completely separates my current situation from the last."

If you can't determine for sure whether it was wiring in the socket or something shorting out in the PC, (and you're not familiar with house-wiring or board-level PC diagnostics) then I'd suggest taking the PC to a tech. Should that turn up nothing, then I'd call an electrician soon.

"Channeling the spirit of jboy..."


Report •
Related Solutions


Ask Question