Optical Drive - Internal to External

Packard bell / 00000000000000000000000
February 4, 2010 at 09:43:46
Specs: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, 1.8 GHz / 503 MB
I have recently purchased the Samsung SN-S083C; it's an internal, SATA DVD burner. I was wondering; to make it work externally, do I have to put it in an external enclosure? Could I not just buy a SATA to USB adapter lead or

Also, will I have to power it via the mains electricity? I'm really hoping it will power by USB.

See More: Optical Drive - Internal to External

Report •

February 4, 2010 at 09:52:28
You will need an enclose but basically all an enclosure is is a box with a built in USB to SATA adapter.

You will have to power it via an external power supply. There is no way the 500mA supplied by the USB connector is going to be enough to power a DVD burner.

So you would be better of buying an enclosure which will have the necessary power supply built in.


Report •

February 4, 2010 at 09:56:09
Awesome answer, thanks a lot. That's a shame about the power supply
though. How will I know how much voltage the DVD burner
requires? And is there anything I should be looking for in an
enclosure? Or will a cheap one be fine?


Report •

February 4, 2010 at 10:36:53
You will have to look for a 5.25" external optical enclosure that supports SATA drives, connects to the PC vis USB & has it own external power supply. Even the cheap ones aren't all that cheap.

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question