|So I'm completely new to PC building, although I've been interested for a long while and I did some research on what I was doing before I bought anything. Bought some parts based on the recommendations of a few people more computer-savvy than I am.|
Got the parts, managed to get it all together despite some speed bumps along the way. Unfortunately I was so excited to be doing all of this that I did not test each item prior to installing. That may have been my downfall but I am praying that all hope isn't lost.
Plugged everything in, powered it up. Monitor says "No Signal." No apparent problems from what I can see by looking - Motherboard LED is green, all five fans (including CPU and video card) are on. Buttons all work on the front from what I can tell. Bright blue LED on the front is working.
No beeps of any kind, no posting.
I'm thinking I either have a bad part somehow, or I screwed something up. Here are some things I have already tried:
- Booting without RAM (didn't change anything, no beeps)
- Booting outside of the case
- Double checked all screws are proper and that's not causing a problem
- The two power plugs are connected to the motherboard
- Double checked seating of video card and RAM
Note: I can't boot without the video card because I do not have another slot for my monitor
My *guess* is that it's the video card, but I really don't know how to (or know if I even can) test this. Also the manual to the video card is unhelpful at best, so I don't know if there's more to it beyond the power plugs and the PCIEx16 slot working. I don't know what else to check on here.
Maybe it's compatibility problems? Here's the build that was recommended:
- Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
- AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor
- A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
- ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
- ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard