need to move the place where a switch is located

January 27, 2012 at 21:44:18
Specs: Windows XP
i have two separate electrical switches in the house. one switch controls a lawn light on the right side of the house. another switch in the garage controls a lawn light on that side of the house. i would like the switch on the right side of the house to control both lights. in other words i would like one switch (or even two switches if necessary) on one side of the house so i can go to one location and control both lights. i was told there is a way to wirelessly control a light switch (the one in the garage) from another location inside the house. what is that device called? do you sell it? thank you.

See More: need to move the place where a switch is located

Report •

January 28, 2012 at 00:00:40
I've don't alot of electrical work & I don't know of any such device unless you install motion detectors. If someone passes the house, the light will go on. I never liked them because if a cat walks by, the light will go on too. Even a motion detector won't eliminate one of the switches.

Also, you don't know what else is on that circuit.

How do you know when a politician is lying? His mouth is moving.

Report •

January 28, 2012 at 00:29:06
Depending upon the existing wiring there are remote control switches available. You should have an electrician install them.

Report •

Report •

Related Solutions

January 28, 2012 at 02:31:26
Hi Tim,

if you do this with conventional wiring, the positive suppy to *both* lamps should be fed by the one switch you choose to control the circuit. You could feed one lamp then continue to the next.

Alternatively, if you want to use both switches to control, you need to convert to two-way wiring, as in a hallway. With this method you have 2 two-way switches which are connected by 3 core cable. Again both lights are fed by the same switch.

Google is your friend in such matters. Googling :- 'wireless switch' finds hits such as:-

Please advise back what you decide.

Good Luck - Keep us posted.

Report •

January 28, 2012 at 22:45:24
I'm curious how you ended up here.

Anyway, the lights and switches are hard-wired now and any changes will require at least some rewiring. Unless you're comfortable pulling wires through walls and are familiar with local codes, I suggest you call an electrican.

Report •

January 29, 2012 at 08:22:30

See my links above. There are remote control switches available that can do the job. Not perfect and not cheap but will work.

Report •

January 29, 2012 at 09:27:51
what are they called? too much stuff on your website to find it.

Report •

January 29, 2012 at 09:31:09
still trying to find remote devices that can do this. several people have mentioned them but none by name.

Report •

January 29, 2012 at 10:07:11
Like the links say: The devices are called X-10 devices. Go to a wholesale electrical supply, or call a company that deals with home automation.

You know, if you took the time to research this instead of relying on others to do it for you, you might become an informed consumer.

As DAVINCAPS inquired, why did you post your query here? This is a computer forum.

I know about X-10 because my occupation is a home builder.

Report •

January 29, 2012 at 18:27:18
Yeah, I was thinking more along the line of wiring the two lights to the same switch. Those X10's sound neat.

Report •

Ask Question