Need a new circuit board for a WD1Tb HD

August 1, 2011 at 04:45:34
Specs: Windows 7, 167
My external WD Caviar (Green) 1Tb HD has a damaged circuit board (cracked in two). I want to buy a replacement. Where can I buy one??

edited by moderator: Email address removed

See More: Need a new circuit board for a WD1Tb HD

Report •

August 1, 2011 at 05:23:29

Google results in many hits as well.

Report •

August 1, 2011 at 05:41:45
It is NOT a good idea to have your email address in any post anywhere on the internet, because malicious people/software are/is constantly looking for email addresses to abuse.
You should DELETE your email address. You can click on the icon that looks like a notepad at the right at the top of your post to Edit any of your own posts..
It's extremely unlikely anyone who answers regularly on this web site will email you in any case.

How did it get cracked ?
Did you drop the external drive ?
If yes, you may have damaged both the external enclosure and the hard drive inside of it - the hard drive inside of it may not work even if you replace the circuit board - it's more likely you damaged the hard drive itself if it's 2.5" (laptop sized).

The circuit board on the hard drive inside the enclosure, or the circuit board of the external enclosure ?

You aren't likely to be able to find a circuit board for the hard drive itself unless you buy a used working hard drive on the web that is exactly the same model, and remove the board from that..

If it's the circuit board of the external enclosure, don't bother.
You can buy a new external enclosure that is suitable for the hard drive cheaply and install the hard drive in it and that will work fine, IF the hard drive itself is not damaged..

E.g. for a 2.5" (laptop sized) or 3.5" (desktop sized) hard drive, for an IDE (EIDE) drive or a SATA drive.
I recommend Vantec models.

You can connect the hard drive itself internally to a desktop computer to make sure it's still working.

Report •

August 4, 2011 at 15:34:48
Hello Tubesandwires,

Thanks buddy for the reminder about the email address...that was pretty dumb of me! I thought I pasted a dumb old hotmail address, but I made a mistake. THANK YOU to the moderator for removing this for me!!

I exaggerated when I posted that it was "cracked in two"...the damage isn't that severe! The damage to my HD wasn’t the result of a serious blow or anything like that. I was transporting it back and forth to work without any protective case when USB connector broke off the external HD case it was in. It was dumb, but I carried it in my briefcase unprotected and it got damaged by contact with other stuff in the case. The damage is on the circuit board attached to the hard drive.

I can see a minute crack in the board, and it resulted in some burn damage on one of the resistors near the crack site. I wish I could just purchase a replacement board and put it on, but I am starting to learn that it isn’t that simple. Although there are not many files on the HD that are irreplaceable, I would love to be able to retrieve the whole Tb of music, videos, and tons of other items that are on it. If the price was reasonable, I would probably pay to get the data removed, but the prices I have seen for this service are out of reach for me.

I wonder would anyone reading this forum happen to have an old WD hard drive that they wouldn't mind parting with? If I knew that it would work to attach a board from an identical drive I would love to just "rent" someone's HD for a little while (This ain't gonna happen though!!). I was hoping that the WD company might be able to sell me one, but they apparently do not do this.

I would love to be able to get it going for just a couple hours to get what I need off of it...then I would simply toss it in the trash.
Would you or someone else be able to help me out in finding all the necessary info I will need to post when I search for an identical HD?


Report •

Related Solutions

August 4, 2011 at 20:45:05
An external hard drive is an external enclosure (case) which has a circuit board, that connects to a computer via a USB, firewire, or eSATA connection,
that has an actual separate hard drive attached to it that is the same as you would otherwise normally install inside a computer, that plugs into the circuit board for the external enclosure.

See the first picture here:

The small green board at the front of it is for the external enclosure.
The actual hard drive is at the back - it has a larger circuit board on the back of it.

It isn't clear to me going by your description whether it is the board in the external enclosure's case, or the board on the actual hard drive that plugs into the board in the external enclosure that is the problem.

It's extremely unlikely the board on the actual hard drive is damaged going by how you say the external hard drive got damaged.

Replacing the external enclosure's board is not worth the trouble. You can get a brand new external enclosure for ~$30 to ~$40 or less.
(~$30 if it's a physically smaller "portable" external drive which uses a 2.5" laptop sized drive; ~$40 if it's a physically larger external drive that has it's own external power adapter, which uses a 3.5" desktop sized drive). If you live in a reasonably large place, you can get one of those locally. Your hard drive is probably SATA - the external enclose would need to be for a SATA hard drive.

If it IS the board on the actual hard drive....

You aren't likely to be able to find a circuit board for the hard drive itself unless you buy a used working hard drive on the web that is exactly the same model, and remove the board from that..

Report •

August 5, 2011 at 04:20:37

It is the board attached to the HD itself. I'll keep looking, and hopefully I'll find an identical HD that I can harvest one from.


Report •

August 5, 2011 at 06:53:21
The board on the hard drive itself does not get damaged unless the external hard drive was subjected to a severe physical jolt - in your case, the briefcase it was in was probably subjected to that - e.g. dropped.

In the past when hard drives were a lot more expensive then they are now, you could order the board for the hard drive from the manufacturer, but as far as I know none of them do that anymore. However, most hard drive manufacturers can replace the board if you send it to them, but that would NOT be covered under the warranty for the external hard drive / the hard drive itself since you damaged it by doing something not covered under the warranty.

Report •

Ask Question