Monitor screen gives electric shocks

February 17, 2011 at 22:27:19
Specs: Windows 7
Hi guys.

I have a PC at home that I've been using for a couple of months now. It is still running fine but yesterday I have this problem of being shocked or electrocuted when i am touching my CRT monitor screen. At first I thought that its just static electricity but when i touch it again its still there (until now) and its making my fingers numb a bit. So i thought it was really electricity that's flowing in my screen. I was barefooted all the time when using my unit but this is the only time that this thing happened. It was never like that for the few months that i am using the unit until yesterday. Tried to check every wiring inside my box and also the screws of my MOBO it was properly placed. And also my PSU is new. I bought it about a month ago. I also tried pulling off the VGA connector from the back of my cpu to know if its the cpu whose causing the shocks, But still the monitor screen shocks me when i am barefooted.

I am sorry for a long and very confusing explanation.Hope somebody can help me.

PS - I tried waring rubber soles and slippers and the shock was gone when i touch my monitor screen. But still, I am worried because I never have this problem even when I am barefooted working on the unit. not until yesterday. And I'm scared that if this continues my unit will be fried.

Thanks again.


______________________________

Pentium 4 2.66
600w PSU
1g ddr
asus p5v800-mx
inno3d fx5500 256mb agp
hp CRT monitor



See More: Monitor screen gives electric shocks

Report •


#1
February 18, 2011 at 04:43:55
I'm not an expert on electricity so this theory might be wrong. Wearing rubber soles will stop the sock but doesn't mean the sock still isn't there trying to pass through you and sock you.

Try plugging the CRT into another computer or even a laptop. If you still get the socks, try replacing the power cable and/or the VGA cable if it detaches. If you STILL get the shocks, wait for another answer.

Asus M4A78-EM
AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.11
Patriot PC2-6400 4Gig
MSI R4830
Seagate 160Gig SATA
Seagate 320Gig SATA
External 1T


Report •

#2
February 18, 2011 at 13:19:28
I have been well trained in electric and electronic and national electric code.

Any attempt to fix this may result in your death. It is not normal to have this problem but PLEASE find a qualified electrician to investigate this problem. It could be a defective product or some issue with something on your desk or the house wiring. In either case do not touch the computer. If possible and safe, try to remove the ac plugs from every thing there.

"The era of big government is over," said Clinton 1996


Report •

#3
February 18, 2011 at 23:16:00
I think its our wiring problem because I live in a province here in the Philippines. And some say that we dont have any proper grounding when it comes to our electric lines specially to those who live in old houses and provincial residences. But how can i determine if we have proper grounding or not. I'll try to plug the monitor to our main outlet and not use extension cords. I'll also try to plug the monitor to a different unit.
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm really new here.

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
February 19, 2011 at 05:28:51
The extension cord you're using, is it for 2 or 3 prong?

Asus M4A78-EM
AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.11
Patriot PC2-6400 4Gig
MSI R4830
Seagate 160Gig SATA
Seagate 320Gig SATA
External 1T


Report •

#5
February 21, 2011 at 17:46:03
only 2 prong, recently my video card was fried. I dont know what fried it but i guess if my monitor is grounded then it might be sending some voltage from it to the dvi socket of my card and fry it. Good thing I got a stock card. But it only has 64mb of memory. So it sucks. I wonder if my monitor is broken.

Report •


Ask Question