Monitor cable replacement

October 10, 2009 at 19:39:45
Specs: Windows XP
This monitor needs a new cable due to broken wires in the VGA connector. I ordered a new cable but it came with only 14 pins and I need 15 pins. On mine, pin nine is active. Where can I find a cable with the proper 15 pin VGA connector ? Thanx. Richard

See More: Monitor cable replacement

Report •

October 10, 2009 at 20:02:51
Buy a new monitor.

Report •

October 10, 2009 at 20:52:05
Very funny. The monitor works well. It just needs a new cable but I am not able to find a 15 pin VGA cable. Most of the VGA cables only have 14 pins.

Report •

October 10, 2009 at 22:53:46
"Very funny"

It wasn't meant to be funny.

"Most of the VGA cables only have 14 pins"

That's because it's the standard. Pin-9 is not used.

The VGA/VESA/DDC2 standard uses pin-9 but it's described as "optional +5V output from graphics card". It's used to auto-detect the the screen resolution supported by the monitor.

"According to, the VGA DDC2 standard uses pins 9, 12 and 15 to communicate the capable screen resolutions of the device connected. So, if pin 9 is missing, then you will get a standard set of resolutions in your Windows display settings."

Assuming you're asking about a CRT monitor, a new cable probably costs as much or more than the monitor's worth.

Report •

Related Solutions

October 10, 2009 at 23:10:12
What happens when you use the 14-pin one you ordered?

Also, does the cable connect to a VGA socket in the back of the monitor or do you have to open it up in order to replace the cable? What's the monitor model number?

Report •

October 11, 2009 at 05:54:11
Thank you. I'm finally understanding now. That short answer without any explanation had me going for a while. Thanks for the link. I bought the replacement cable without knowing that my flat screen monitor was different from the standard. What I need is a cable with only one full 15 pin VGA connector on one end so I can open up the monitor and solder in the other end. I have tried repairing the broken wires in the original connector but they continue to break due to flexing, hence the need for a complete new cable. I just found that SVA sells the full 15 pin cable that I need but it comes with two connectors and I only need one so perhaps the only option I have is to buy one of those and cut off one of the connectors. In answer to the question about what I get with the replacement cable I bought, I never used it because of finding out that it did not have pin #9, plus the color coding was all wrong. Hopefully the color coding on the SVA cable will be correct. Your comments please.

Report •

October 11, 2009 at 18:58:55
Did you look into buying the exact replacement cable instead of a generic one so you wouldn't have to chop and solder it together? I actually did that once back when I was paying $50 for used monitors.

Again, what's the monitor model number? I may have one and all I've been doing with monitors lately is throwing them out.

Report •

December 30, 2009 at 18:25:05
We got a monitor in our shop which has a VGA cable chewed through. After opening the monitor, we found that the cable actually plugs into a board inside the monitor. I was wondering if anyone might know of a store or central outlet that may carry such cables. The monitor is an IC Power Model #CM2017. Manuf. in June 2006. It seems from reading this message board that splicing those wires together could very well lead to misfortune if not super careful. I'd rather not take the risk and just get this cable. Any help would be appreciated out there. Have a Happy New Year!

Report •

December 30, 2009 at 19:44:11
Is this the same one:

If so you can buy it and use the cable.

I don't see a cable on the picture so best to contact the seller first.

Ubuntu Cheeta, Ubuntu !

Report •

Ask Question