Solved Magnetized my DVD Player

December 1, 2011 at 17:40:02
Specs: Windows 7
DVD Player Showing 'Green Pictures! I placed my LG DVD Player too close to a bad arse center speaker from my surround sound system, now it has magnetized the player and every DVD is a washed out green hue color, can anyone out there tell me how I can demagnetize the DVD Player without any wiz bang equipment like a CT scanner machine or something as bazaar as that, surly there must be a simple way to get the DVD player back to normal, any and all help is appreciated, Cheers Gang!

See More: Magnetized my DVD Player

Report •


✔ Best Answer
December 3, 2011 at 09:06:07
I know of no part in a DVD system that relies on magnetic properties. There may be a small choke on the output video is all or maybe a small choke on the board.

Most things simply demagnetize in a few weeks. You can put the dvd on a sting or just rotate it near this speaker again and slowly remove it should help.

I'd be thinking it is a connection issue or some failure in the video processing.

There is no iron in a DVD disk so it can never become a magnet. The signal is optical so unless you have a black hole force you can't bend it easily.

1/3 of highway deaths are caused by drunks. The rest are by people who can't drive any better than a drunk.



#1
December 1, 2011 at 18:54:39
I did a quick search on Google & two hits suggested that it's the CDs themselves that get magnetized, not the player. Of course, they have a demagnetizer for sale.

How do you know when a politician is lying? His mouth is moving.


Report •

#2
December 2, 2011 at 18:25:23
No I have checked, and the discs work perfectly well in another machine that I have in the same room using the same TV, so I am sure it's the actual player, but thanks for responding, greatly appreciated.

Report •

#3
December 3, 2011 at 00:25:52
First make sure the DVD player-to-TV connections are tight and the cables in good condition.

If that's not it, I don't think 'magnetizing' is the problem, or at least it's not something that can be removed. As I understand it, the laser is focused using a couple of small permanent magnets and coils somewhat analagous to the coil and magnet configuration found in audio speakers.

However, that setup in a DVD player is much more sensitive and I think what might have happened is the external magnetic field caused a slight but permanent misalignment in that focusing assembly. But I don't think it's because some piece of that assembly became magnetized and thus can be demagnetized. Realigning it may be possible but it'd need to be done in a shop and would probably cost more than the DVD player is worth.


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
December 3, 2011 at 09:06:07
✔ Best Answer
I know of no part in a DVD system that relies on magnetic properties. There may be a small choke on the output video is all or maybe a small choke on the board.

Most things simply demagnetize in a few weeks. You can put the dvd on a sting or just rotate it near this speaker again and slowly remove it should help.

I'd be thinking it is a connection issue or some failure in the video processing.

There is no iron in a DVD disk so it can never become a magnet. The signal is optical so unless you have a black hole force you can't bend it easily.

1/3 of highway deaths are caused by drunks. The rest are by people who can't drive any better than a drunk.


Report •

Ask Question