loss of power, overheated

June 18, 2010 at 21:01:40
Specs: Windows XP
my computer shut down due to overheating fan came off motherboard. now it has no power at all?? no lights on the front come on, its like the power supply is dead? its a pentium 4 so it has the heat cut off.

See More: loss of power, overheated

June 18, 2010 at 21:51:42
Manufacturer and model number of your machine is...?


Report •

June 18, 2010 at 22:13:26
it has a gigabyte motherboard and arctic cooling system. intel pentium 4 processor 3.4ghz. nvidea 8600 graphics card. thats all i know about it.

Report •

June 18, 2010 at 22:22:42
Did you reattach the fan? Did you check in BIOS to see if you need to reenable a fan or overheating warning.

Just guessing without having any idea of what we're working on.

The motherboard will be labeled with a model number and revision number.



Report •

Related Solutions

June 18, 2010 at 22:34:45
the model number is GA-81915G DUO. i reatached the fan, how do i reenable the fan or overheating warning.

Report •

June 18, 2010 at 23:45:11
OK, assuming nothing works (you get absolutely no display?), about the only option at this point is to reset any BIOS options to the defaults.

Here's the manual for the GA-81915G DUO motherboard.


The CLR_CMOS jumper is shown on page 26 of the manual. Instructions are to short the two pins. Apparently they do not include a "shunt" to do this so...

1. Unplug the power cable (cord) from the power supply.
2. Find a jumper (shunt) you can use or use a screwdriver etc. to connect the two pins.
3. While you have the two pins shorted, press the power button.
4. Remove the jumper (shunt) or whatever you used.
5. Plug the power cable (cord) back in.
6. Push the power button and see what happens.
7. Let us know if it worked or not.

The jumper *shunt) looks like this...


All they do is make a connection between two pins; just like a screwdriver blade, paper clip, or any other hunk of metal.


Report •

Ask Question