I want to replace my PC case, but nervous

April 10, 2011 at 04:10:04
Specs: Windows 7, 5GB
For near on two weeks, my PC had been locking up, and today, it has ceased to recieve power.

I am fairly certain my Power Supply has died, likely caused by the cramped nature of the proprietary HP case I managed to jam a Geforce 9800GT and the now deceased 500something watt PCU into. I am looking for a better case to prevent an encor, as well of course as a new PSU, but I have no idea how to find out what model my motherboard is to find out if it will fit any given case.

I dont have an impressive amount of money to sink into this, so I am hoping to achieve this feat within the context of 150 dollars. Thank our merciful god for newegg sales.

See More: I want to replace my PC case, but nervous

Report •

April 10, 2011 at 05:12:57
Most motherboards have some sort of sticker on them detailing the manufacturer and model number. Alternatively, you can often find the motherboard information by looking up the computer model on HP's website and viewing its technical specifications.

If nothing else, you could measure the motherboard and screwholes to see if it matches a standard size. You can view a chart of different form factors here.

Report •

April 10, 2011 at 05:36:35
For lack of a more detailed description, the entire motherboard is almost exactly as long as the videocard that is attached to it, which can be itself seen here.
Which itself is a fairly large piece of hardware to hold.

So would the best assumption, before I pick apart all the pieces, be that it is a standard or micro ATX?

Report •

April 10, 2011 at 05:46:54
My guess would be microATX, but I don't know how long the card really is. Note that you can put a microATX board in a standard ATX case, so other than the cost its not an issue to go ahead and purchase an ATX case. The real issue is whether the board is either of those, or a proprietary form factor.

Report •

Related Solutions

April 10, 2011 at 07:22:42
All you need to do is post the model of your HP.

Report •

April 10, 2011 at 07:51:58
Go here:
Scroll down a bit.
Look for the similar label on the outside of your computer.
Quote the specific model number - that's at the end of the first line.
Quote the Product number - that's on the third line.

"..lthe now deceased 500something watt PCU into. "

How did you determine it had about 500 watt capacity ? It's the max output wattage capacity rating that's important, not the power it requires from the AC source. That's not likely to be about 500 watts for a computer with "cramped nature of the proprietary HP case " - it's probably a lot less than that.

Sometimes the power supply capacity is small enough that it can't handle the extra load a video card installed in a mboard places on it and it eventually fails.

You have several things to consider.

The first one is, when a power supply fails, it sometimes fries the motherboard,and/or anything connected to it.
E.g. Some HP systems have BESTEC power supplies - they are well known to be a lot more likely to damage your mboard and/or other components while failing

If the mboard has a standard sized main power connector, try connecting a regular sized power supply to the mboard and drives to see if the mboard still works fine - you don't need to install it in the case for testing purposes.

If the system will NOT work with another power supply, that's a whole different situation

If the system works, then you have this problem

Brand name system builders usually provide NO INFO AT ALL about what pins on wiring connection headers on the mboard are for what - e.g. the front panel header for the power switch, power led, hdd led; the USB headers.
You need that info in order to connect the mboard to a generic case.

HP did/does not make the mboard. Once we/you have the proper model number / Part number then usually the actual maker of the mboard can be determined and you can find out which pin is for what on the headers by examining the manual for a similar retail mboard model made by the same mboard maker.

Report •

Ask Question