|2012 HP Envy 17 laptop- The computer was shutting down and giving an overheating error 90D. It would still boot up but then shut down if I was doing something too taxing on it like when my kids would play Minecraft. After a while of this, it just shut down completely and won't boot up. It gave the same error and shuts down after about 5 seconds. I thought it might be bad thermal paste, so I opened it up and replace it on the CPU and GPU, only to put it back together and get the same error. |
I took it to the local repair shop and they said that the hard drive was going bad. I bought a new hard drive, installed it, powered it on, and get the same thing. I tried a hard reset to clean the error by taking out the battery, unplugging all cords, and holding the power button and the Beats Audio button for 1 minute (this is what an HP video told me to do for my model). The error message did not come up, but after about 8 seconds, it shuts off again. When I power it up after that, the error message returns and shuts down again. I thought I might need to clear the CMOS, so I unplugged and took out the little coin battery, reinstalled with the same result.
I thought about doing a BOIS reset with the little jumper on the motherboard, but I don't know where it is. Could this be a fan not running at full potential causing the error? Both fans spin, and with it shutting down so fast, I can't imagine anything overheating in 5 seconds. At this point, I'm out of ideas. Any help will be greatly appreciated.