How to change the size of the Primary Partion

Seagate Maxtor stm3160215as 160gb sata/3...
June 27, 2009 at 10:23:25
Specs: Windows XP
I have installed WindowsXP professional version 2002 SP3.I want to increase the size of the C drive(Primary Partition) and expand the file system all over it.How is this possible to be done?

Regards Varuna

See More: How to change the size of the Primary Partion

Report •

June 27, 2009 at 12:04:36
Do you have data on any other partitions on that hard drive? If not, and you JUST installed WinXP then I suggest you do it over again.

When installing WinXP you have the ability to delete and create partitions. Those partitions can be a set size or a percentage of the drive. That is the only method available when using Windows.

If you want to resize the partitions without reinstalling WinXP then you need a third party program to do that.

Report •

June 27, 2009 at 12:35:00
Yes! I want to know any third party tool that can do it.I have already installed WinXP and have been using it for some time But I am running out of space with what I have to install, that's what made me want to expand the primary partition.


Report •

June 27, 2009 at 12:50:38
Well, before you do that let me suggest that you install your programs to a second partition. That is a better method than having aeverything on the C drive. Look at the link below for ideas about partitioning.

If you still want to pursue resizing then there are a number of commercial programs but I am assuming you are looking for something free. I suggest you post a new thread asking for a free partition resizer.

Partition Magic is one I have used and works while in Windows.

Report •

Related Solutions

June 27, 2009 at 13:07:45
Easus Partition Manager free.

Be sure to Back up first.

There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.

Report •

June 27, 2009 at 14:43:05
The program recommended by Dumbob will do the trick but if I'm not mistaken, you'll have to delete the adjoining partition so that it becomes 'unallocated space', then you can expand the C partition into it.

If you don't use all the unallocted space, what you do with the remainder is up to can either become D or you can add it to E (if you have an E). The E partition can then be renamed D

Report •

June 27, 2009 at 15:11:24

UK MP's are thieving scumbags.
EU members are worse.

Report •

Ask Question