Gateway Boot problems ?

September 4, 2014 at 07:15:19
Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium
I have a gateway GT5655E desktop. About 10% of the time the computer boots perfectly fine. The other 90% of the time the computer LED on the power button blinks several times for about a minute and boots, however my monitor shows no signal. After reading this post http://www.computing.net/forum/hard... , I unhooked and reinserted the RAM. After that I left the case open and booted the computer with nothing but the DVI cable and power cord hooked up and it booted fine. I then plugged the rest of the USBs and other devices in and it started blinking again. After that I unhooked all of the USBs and once again it booted fine. I do not know much about computers, but to me this sounds like a failing power supply. Is that what everyone else would say?

See More: Gateway Boot problems ?

Report •

#1
September 4, 2014 at 08:15:35
"I have a gateway GT5655E desktop"

Please double check that model number.

"but to me this sounds like a failing power supply. Is that what everyone else would say?"

I'm inclined to agree. Gateway often uses Bestec power supplies which have a "higher than normal" failure rate.


Report •

#2
September 4, 2014 at 08:16:54
you need to plug 1 thing in at a time and reboot till you get to where it cant boot. so as to narrow the problem area down.then that should tell exactly which items is the problem.
but it still might be the power supply as they were known for having crap for power supplies

Davidw

message edited by Davidw


Report •

#3
September 4, 2014 at 08:43:15
Just to say that your link goes to a list of posts rather than a particular one.

Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
September 4, 2014 at 20:10:08
Yeah power supply seems likely. But another possibility is a USB device especially since it booted OK with them disconnected. I recall some previous postings where a USB device was the culprit. As mentioned above, try one device at a time concentrating on the USB ones and see if you can isolate one as the problem.

Don't forget to preorder your Hatch green chili for this fall. Many vendors ship world-wide. Better hurry. They're picking and shipping now.


Report •

#5
November 21, 2014 at 07:32:19
The problem was not the power supply but actually the hard drive. I replaced the power supply and had the same problem but then took the hard drive out and re-installed it and it works perfect

Report •

#6
November 21, 2014 at 07:43:18
Good to hear - thanks. But was the drive defective, it's connections giving trouble, or was it a Windows re-install onto the HD?

Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks


Report •

Ask Question