Dead keyboard and power button from spill

Dell / 1504
April 28, 2009 at 08:02:57
Specs: Windows XP
I knocked over a small glass of water on my
laptop last night, most of the water skirted off.
I dried the computer by taking the keyboard
out, opening the case from one side and using
a hairdrier on low.

Here are the problems: Keyboard is typing by
itself, types double letters/number and some
keys dont work at all. I tried reseating the
cable, but this did not help the problem.

Power - The main power button does not work.
I can get the pc to power on by taking the
battery out, unplugging the power cord from
the back, then plugging it back in. If the
battery is in or the pc has been shut down
without the battery installed and with the
power cord in, the pushing the power button
does not power on the pc.

Please let me know how I can approach fixing
these problems. I have a dell 1504, thanks.

See More: Dead keyboard and power button from spill

Report •

April 28, 2009 at 08:32:56
Unfortunately laptops in almost all cases are difficult to repair following spills. Your best option is to take it to a Dell-authorized service center. I hope you have purchased all-risk insurance at the time you bought this laptop. If you have Dell will replace it for free.


Report •

April 28, 2009 at 08:50:04
I think you big mistake was using a hair dryer to dry it; you should have left it to dry by natural evaporation. Hair dryers create static and static and computers do not go together.

Normally plain water should no be a problem as it should evaporate leaving no residue behind. It is orange juice and coffee that causes problems.


Report •

April 28, 2009 at 08:51:29
It sounds like some of the circuits shorted out from the spill. If it isn't a problem to you, with the power button you could always get an external keyboard, that is if your USB ports aren't fried also. Or take the advice from above and bring in your computer to see how badly damaged it is and if they can fix it.

One other word of advise: Don't Keep food or drinks around your computer

Report •

Related Solutions

April 28, 2009 at 09:31:32
Thanks for the suggestions, I did plug a external keyboard
into the computer. Im able to enter my password and login.
So based on this info, is the likely problem the motherboard.
Do you think a new motherboard install would fix the problem?
Also, what is the name of the component I need to fix the
power issue, since the spill happened around where I turn the
power on an off, should i replace the board under the power
button? thanks

Report •

Ask Question