|Hi, I'm having some weird issues with zero clues as to what's wrong. Lately, my computer has been crashing. It always happens when using anything that requires a lot of computer power (Spore, WoW and even using Facebook while also playing Yahoo Games). Although my settings are set to "restart after crash" it never does, leading me to think it's not software. It's also not a BSOD. It just simply shuts down as if someone turned it off.|
I had made no hardware or software changes (that I'm aware of) when this began and have not had this issue until recently, despite using this PC as is for over a year. here's my systems stats:
Pentium 4 3.07 Ghz
1.5 Gigs ram
Windows XP Pro
Nvidia GeForce 6200 OC
Master and slave drives (Master only has windows)
Biostar P4 M800 M7A motherboard
Here are the things I have tried in order to isolate the problem:
1) Replaced PSU (went from 300 W to 700W)
2) Added Ram, now running 1.5 GB
3) Swapped out Video cards
4) Used Speedfan to monitor temp (nothing ever broke 60 degrees C)
5) Reformatted and re-installed Windows XP Pro
6)Replaced 80 GB Slave drive with new 500GB slavedrive
7) Ran Hotcpu (freeware version) and came up clean
8) Ran two different memtest programs (not bootable ones) and let them cycle 5 times and 7 times respectively, with no RAM errors.
9) Ran Scandisk from boot to check disks...no issues
In all of these instances, the computer ran fine until I tried something that required a lot of power and it would crash. I once even ran WoW for 5 hours with no problems, then the next day it crashed in 20 minutes.
The only other odd behavior I'm having is, after reinstalling windows, about 15-20 of the updates won't install. It does all of the typical downloading and it tries to install, but the install fails.
Please, this is my last hope before taking the beast to a computer shop and paying out my nose to fix it, so if you can help, I would love it.