|The problem: Turn on computer, nothing displays on the monitor. I |
don't think it's booting into Windows because I don't hear fans
speeding up/slowing down, which means it's probably not even
getting into the BIOS.
What I've done so far:
- Tried more than one monitor. Neither original nor new one
display anything, whether it be just by showing a black screen or
saying "Going to sleep."
- Swapped video cards, nothing changed.
- Swapped RAM, nothing changed.
- Unplugged HDD, nothing changed.
- Tried a new PSU, with literally nothing getting power except the
mobo, nothing changed
- Never get any POST beeps.
- No strange noises like whirring, clicking, etc.
- This is a customer's computer (I'm a repair guy). So I don't
know much about the history except that she bought it used 3 years
ago from a computer store that no longer exists.
- I have NOT reseated the CPU because I don't feel like it's a CPU
issue, though of course it's possible. And I don't want to go
through the hassle of that if I don't have to.
- Computer: HP Pavilion a287 with what seems to be all stock
- Motherboard: MS-6390 (KM266 chipset), Socket A/462
- GPU: e-GeForce FX5500
- CPU: (Can't tell, underneath heatsink)
- RAM: 1x Samsung 512MB DDR PC3200
- HDD: WD800
- PSU: Max output = 250W
What do you think?