changing from a chip set to a graphics card

September 25, 2011 at 11:38:54
Specs: Windows XP, pentium 4/2.5
how do i switch from an intel chip set to a graphics card?

See More: changing from a chip set to a graphics card

Report •

September 25, 2011 at 11:53:48
You are close to the correct terminology. You must mean Graphics Chip.

Chip set generally refers to a chip on the motherboard that controls more than just graphics, although it can incorporate graphics too.

You didn't list the model of your Gateway computer so we can only generalize. If you have a laptop you can't do anything. You are stuck with integrated graphics. If you have a desktop you should be able to install some type of add in graphics card. Post the model series and full model number.

Report •

September 25, 2011 at 12:48:42
i have a older gateway desktop, i can't find a model number
it is a pentium4 2.8g with 2.5g of ram
it has a intel 82915g/gv/910gl express chipset family
video bios 3414
i'm not much of a computer tech


Report •

September 25, 2011 at 13:33:42
No model number on the front of the case? Or on a label on the back of the case?

Report •

Related Solutions

September 25, 2011 at 13:47:50
found it under a sliding door io the front
Model Number: 73105S

Report •

September 25, 2011 at 15:22:12
Does not appear to be the model number of the system, look on the back of the case for a sticker. On a system if that age you may have an AGP graphics port, possibly an early PCIe port, or a simple PCI port and you need to know what you have to purchase a suitable card. You also may need to upgrade the power supply, depending on what you choose and what the power supply is rated at.

You have to be a little bit crazy to keep you from going insane.

Report •

Ask Question