Burning smell from the computer

Dell / Dimension 8300
Sue January 26, 2009 at 19:33:46
Specs: Windows XP, 1064
I had a smell like wires burning inside the computer. I opened the case and could not see any damage, the computer was running fine, but after about 5 mins the graphics card got very hot. I didnt smell burning but I shut the computer down and unplugged it. The only issue I had before this was error message the system battery was low "press f1 to continue". Please help. Thank you

See More: Burning smell from the computer

Report •

January 26, 2009 at 20:09:35
If the graphics card got exceptionally hot, there's a chance that it's fan might have stopped.

FWIW to XP users: When you click on the 'Command Prompt' you are just causing the 'Command prompt' to be displayed. This prompt gives you access to NTVDM.EXE, the 'NT Virtual DOS Manager'.

Report •

January 27, 2009 at 05:58:45
system battery low means you need to change the silver coin battery (which is what helps the pc retain the time/date/bios settings).
That should have nothing to do with burning smell.
you need to check all fans are working fine. we do not know if you graphics card has a fan or silent heatsink. graphics cards often do get quite hot, particularly if you put your finger on the back of the card opposite where the main chip is.

Report •

January 27, 2009 at 08:44:41
I would guess the power supply may be the source of the smell. If one or all fans in the PSU have failed the PSU will overheat.

The PSU is also responsible for case cooling. So your graphics card could overheat as a result. Is there a fan on the graphics card?

Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question