|Make, model, age of laptop? |
- Sound is what type of sound?
- Could have a failing HDD.
- Test other USB other devices on that same USB port, and other USB ports if applicable.
- Test the external HDD in another PC if you can.
- It is possible the USB slot (female connector) is bad, or the USB BUS on the motherboard is bad.
- You could have a bad USB cable.
- It is also possible (though rare) that the USB drivers have become corrupt somehow.
- Could be malware too.
I had a laptop on the bench several months ago that was beeping on & off with the Add device\Windows 7 tone. I ran hardware diagnostics as I thought maybe the HDD was failing. Everything checked out.
Then I ran anti-malware (MalwareBytes and EmsiSoft anti-Malware) and it found & cleaned out some malicious junk.....issue was resolved. I would have bet $50.00 it was a bad HDD...I would've lo$t.
MOOOOooove! OH and you're welcome!