1 Monitor blank once plugged into old PC. 2 Tubular lock?

April 23, 2012 at 04:41:40
Specs: Windows
Old basic PC was working fine at friend's house, they moved house, gave it to us and now it won't work. ("CyberCel Computer Systems" Pentium Intel Inside)

So frustrating, can't see into the computer to see what's going on. Any ideas? How can we tell if hard drive is dead or just a simple step away from being useable?

PC tower starts up OK and hums along, then if I connect the monitor power-cord to the tower the monitor then shows a "self diagnostics" screen which appears and that says "check signal cable".

So then we connected the monitor's 15 pin male cord into the computer's 15 pin female, expecting to see the computer's start-up screen.

But no, the monitor suddenly goes blank and the power light goes from green to flashing orange.

The monitor definitely works, attached it to my laptop ok and viewed that computer just fine, (although I did have to change the laptop's graphic settings from single displays to multiple monitors). But the desktop wouldn't be having that issue, as it only has the single monitor I'm trying to connect.

Also, there's a tubular lock at the front we don't have keys for, but we've managed to move it to the other position yet it doesn't seem to make any difference to the startup lights and noises on the tower. Should we have that at 2 o'clock or 4o'clock?

Can we diagnose / rescue this machine?

See More: 1 Monitor blank once plugged into old PC. 2 Tubular lock?

Report •

April 23, 2012 at 04:54:12
If it was workin fine until you moved it, you either didn't hook things back up correctly or something came loose inside the case during the move. Are there any beeps from the tower when you boot it up?

Report •

April 23, 2012 at 05:13:05
Wow, thanks for replying so fast. Yeah it beeps when it powers up.

I've stripped back the whole setup to bare basics to isolate the problem. All I've got setup at the moment is the computer's power cord to the wall, the 2nd power cord from the computer to the monitor, and the 15 pin data cable from the monitor to the computer.

I'm wondering if dust inside from being moved or something. Or if there's something silly I'm missing.

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question