Click here for important information about

World of Warcraft and My Notebook

February 9, 2010 at 15:11:29
Specs: Windows 7, 4GB DDR2 5300
Dell Inspiron 1720
Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2.0
Nvidia 8600M GT 256
4GB DDR2 5300

Originaly the computer came preinstalled with Vista and only 2 GB DDR2 5300. World of warcraft was running absolutely and completely horrible. I removed Vista completely and installed Windows XP for a huge upgrade in FPS. Strange thing is, over time the game seemed to be getting more and more sluggish and eventualy hard to deal with (very laggy and jerky, constant fps drops). I decided at that point to try out Windows 7 and performed a clean install. The game was up and running great but once again overtime I was back to the same situation. I finaly decided to upgrade my memory in the hopes it would allow more leway since I have onboard graphics and world of warcraft is such a memory hog. I have seen a considerable difference in fps but I am now having new issues. First, when I minimize the game 10% of the time it takes 100x longer for the game to maximize back to full screen than it used to. The other 90% of the time the game just hangs and I have to exit and re-launch. As for the 10% of the time it does come back, half the time the game is all massed up (controls dont respond, icons are incorrect and so on). I just want to play my game QQ. Anyone who can offer some help, ideas, it would be much appreciated.

See More: World of Warcraft and My Notebook

February 9, 2010 at 15:21:18
WOW is a old game with lightweight system requirements. The minimum video requirement is:

"3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better"

C'mon, Gefore 2 with 32MB? Your 8600M GT should tear it up! My guess is your system is overheating & the CPU is throttling.

Report •

February 10, 2010 at 11:59:12
That would be refering to the orginal game launch and in that part of WOW I do tear it up. Besides, the game has a large amount of graphics settings and the requirements are prob based on the lowest settings. There have been expansions since than and these new parts of the world are a large step up in what they require.

And what about the minimizing issue?

Report •

February 12, 2010 at 11:12:48
so you've installed a fresh OS 3 times, and every time the game runs fast initially and then slower over time?

sounds like your OS is getting dirty. What kind of maintenance do you perform (defrags, file cleanups, malware scans, etc.)? What kinds of things start up with Windows? iTunes and Adobe helper, in addition to all sorts of other stuff i'm guessing.

i'd also second jam's suggestion about overheating.

Report •

Related Solutions

April 8, 2010 at 20:53:11
I make sure nothing is starting up with windows because I cant stand that junk. I run CCleaner daily and I dont go anywhere to get malware because I am smart enought o avoid it. I do run malwarebytes occasionaly just in case though. I have proped the notebook up and that has made a considerable difference but I do think it could be better but it'll do. Anyone recommend something that I could use instead of books to prop it up for cooling LOL. I have been leary when looking for one as I dont know if it is a rip off and not even a benifit or if the one I get does harm. Thanks for the advice and any suggestions on keeping it cool.

Report •

Ask Question