Nikon CoolPix L20 will not operate.

September 20, 2013 at 20:34:09
Specs: Windows XP
Will not turn on. With fresh batteries, the camera draws 25 ma of current with NO action taken. Pressing the on/off button has NO effect on current draw.

See More: Nikon CoolPix L20 will not operate.

Report •


#1
September 21, 2013 at 02:35:30
I'm not sure what the current draw should be when it's off but 25 ma seems kind of high. (By the way, how are you measuring that?) But if it's pulling too much current there must be a short somewhere. Likely the camera would have to be completely disassembled to find it.

Report •

#2
September 21, 2013 at 19:10:45
Current measured with battery flap open & a milliamp meter bridging the 2 cells in place of metal strip on inside of door. Clearly, any current drain with the camera in the off state is too much.
Thanx for the reply....anyone able to offer more specific info?

Report •

#3
September 21, 2013 at 23:34:09
Here's a download for the manual in case you don't have it:

http://www.central-manuals.com/down...

(The nikon site kept shutting off the download.)

It looks like it has a separate battery for the clock function and probably to hold the other settings, which is where I thought the current was flowing. That makes an even stronger case for an internal short. Barring something like a dirty battery compartment or a battery issue (which doesn't seem likely) you'll have to concede your camera is broken. You can't push a button or change a setting and magically fix it. We can't clairvoyantly look inside and see what's going on. I don't know what more you expect.

Well you can try giving it a whack. That sometimes fixed my old TV.


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
September 22, 2013 at 10:43:02
Thanx again for the response. I think I'll call it quits. This has been laying in a drawer for some time. Thought I might be able to revive it.
Frank

Report •

#5
September 22, 2013 at 19:47:00
You're welcome. I guess the next step is to give it to a kid who has a set of miniature screwdrivers as taking it to a shop will probably cost more than it's worth.

Report •

Ask Question