Solved Need advice on streaming video from pc to tv

Gateway Gateway nv57h50u laptop / intel...
December 14, 2011 at 13:56:50
Specs: Windows XP, Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz / 2.25 GB
I want to stream video from an old dell dimension 4600 to a Samsung 30" HDTV. TV has HDMI, S-Video, and RCA jacks. Dell only has PCI (no PCI-Express) and AGP expansion slots, and currently only a VGA out. What is the cheapest way to stream video to TV?

I was thinking of trying to use an S-Video to VGA adapter, but I don't think the NVIDIA Quadro2 MXR/EX/Go video card has TV-Out? Having a hard time finding AGP or PCI HDMI expansion cards at reasonable prices.

See More: Need advice on streaming video from pc to tv

Report •

December 15, 2011 at 03:01:20
✔ Best Answer
you can get decent (and up-to-date) motherboards and processors for the price of an agp card with video out.
why waste your time with this, even if it could be done, the picture quality would render your hdtv useless, and i doubt you'll find any agp or pci cards with hdmi connections.

my advice, look in your local paper for someone selling second hand pc or laptop, or google reconditioned motherboards, processors, graphics etc

Windows 7 x64
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 4.1GHz
ATI Radeon HD4870 XFire

8GB OCZ Platinum 1066
2x Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F1

Report •

December 19, 2011 at 16:22:32
You can use a scan converter to down convert the PC video signal to either composite or s-video (interlaced). It's basically the same technology that is used in TV-out on a graphics card. They can be bought on eBay for as little as $20.00.

Note: The scan converter that I linked to would require a second VGA output on the PC (if you want to run both TV and monitor). I've seen others that include VGA output, allowing both to be used together.

More information on scan converters....

Please let us know if you found someone's advice to be helpful.

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question