Wireless PC - TV

March 13, 2011 at 04:02:20
Specs: Windows Vista
I'm looking to connect my pc (upstairs) to my tv (downstairs). Now I can't run a giant RGB cable down so I'm looking at wireless solutions like this: EZView

My issue being this product and similar (like the trulink connectors) all appear to be 10m line of sight, or 10m "in-room".

Can anyone suggest a better alternative as I'm going from upstairs to down stairs there are walls to pass through.

Thanks in advance, David

See More: Wireless PC - TV

Report •

March 14, 2011 at 08:09:54
How far is your TV from the room your computer is in? You might be able to get a range extender or directional antenna for these devices.


but we would need to know what frequency the device works on.

Personally, I would just build a Media Computer (with BlueRay and surround sound) for your TV then use remote desktop or VNC, to remote control that computer from the other computer. This way you can store Music and Movies on that computers hard drive without having to waste space on your primary computer.

Report •

March 14, 2011 at 09:33:01
Yea that's what I'm doing currently have a laptop hooked to the main tv and then using "jumione" remote on my iphone to control it. Can then access my pc via the network just wanted to know I anyone had found a neater option.

I would say I'm less than 10meters away from the tv if I went through the floor and such, I would consider an internet or media tv if were not the for the fact I have a tv already and I have some strange codecs on my computer I don't really want to hunt down again.

Thank for your response Ace_omega

Report •

March 14, 2011 at 16:30:20
If that is the case then you have some metal like duct work between the floors that is blocking your signal. You might be able to connect the output of the device into the Cable Line in your house and hook up the antenna downstairs to one of the cable outlets down there. This will only work if the frequency of the device is not on one used by your cable company.

I have never tried this my self but I heard stories of people doing this to locate the antenna of their Wireless Router in another room away from their router. The physics are sound as long as there are no other signals on the same frequency and it does not go through a one way splitter.

Report •

Related Solutions

March 18, 2011 at 12:28:03
Home plugs?


A thank you would be nice, if I have helped.

Report •

March 18, 2011 at 17:12:20
@ace_omega I have a splitter in the roof which runs off the antenna which I could have a go at working but guess I will have to run another cable up there, but worth a try, not sure if my technical know how will extend far enough to get it up and running but live and learn eh! Thanks again for your reply

@clive_pearce This is the first time I've been introduced to home plugs, doing a bit research to see how they work. Do you still require an internet able tv or can you run the plug straight into the hmdi / rgb slot of the tv ? If this turns out to be the solution I was looking for will be very grateful for you insight, thanks.

Report •

March 19, 2011 at 07:22:30
You will need an internet capable tv, or a network media player.

A thank you would be nice, if I have helped.

Report •

March 21, 2011 at 09:17:15
I never really like those because one your house has to have good ground fault bonding and two the signals are being sent over unshielded wire which make it susceptible to ingress signal but the concept is the same as using your cable wire except cable has tons of frequencies on it where power only has one and it is at such a low frequency you don't have to worry about it.


but ethernet over power is much cheaper.

Report •

Ask Question