Gigabyte / P35c-ds3r
February 12, 2009 at 08:14:42
Specs: XP Pro, N/A
Hi all,

a friend of mine has a DVD player which he currently connects to his TV using the cable in the diagram


What he wants to do however is connect this to his pc monitor directly using either an RCA to VGA or RCA to DVI adapter.

or even replace the entire cable with one that can plug into his DVD player and directly into hos monitor.

any ideas how this can achieved please?



i need something like this, any idea what its called?



See More: RCA to VGA/DVI

Report •

February 12, 2009 at 10:42:14
You can find things like this by simply using a search engine, like Google, and searching for "composite to vga" (using the quotes). One of many examples that will come up is:
so, you just pick a vendor and price that appeals to you and make the order.

I have no idea what the picture from Verizon which you posted is depicting, it appears to be some sort of propietary interface. The 3-conductor sub-miniture jack is like what is used to connect stereo audio to PC speakers, don't know why it would be used with a VGA type plug (VGA plugs are High Density DB-15)

Report •

February 12, 2009 at 15:25:00
I think you are out of luck with a cable only solution. The cable from the DVD player is probably composite video and stereo audio, Yellow, Red and White. The PC monitor cannot use composite input.

Report •

February 18, 2009 at 06:41:03
excellent thank you for your advice, i have told him of his options and i think he will opt for buying one of these products.

Once again thanks for your help.


Report •

Related Solutions

February 19, 2009 at 08:49:41
Just a suggestion:-

With a cheap AV switch (4 port AV switch - about AUS$20, what's that...about US$12?), you could have the DVD player connected to more than one device, selectable at the press of a button (properly set up, you could even have an option to switch to both devices, thereby having the DVD playing on dual screens).

I'm sure a switch also exists to switch the monitor between sources (such as a KVM swich, but video only). Both switches would give you the ability to switch between not only the TV and monitor (to view DVDs), but also the computer or DVDplayer (as a source for the monitor).

IMO, That would be one sweet setup.

As for connecting to the VGA monitor, my sister has a converter that connects her laptops VGA-out to a TV, via its composite (RCA:- Red, White, Yellow) inputs. If such a converter exists, there is hope that one exist to go the other way (which is what you need). I seem to recall the name "scanline converter", but I can't be certain that's completely right. I surmise that the task is to convert the interlaced scanlines, de-interlace, then using some algorithm, convert the vertical scanlines (I think 486(?) lines for NTSC and 576(?) lines for PAL) into pixels (or vice versa in the case of my sisters converter). Try Google searches using "scanline converter", "scanline to pixel", "Composite to VGA", "DVD to monitor", and anything else that might seem relevant.

Hope you find what you need.

Please let us know if you found someone's advice to be helpful.

Report •

Ask Question