what kind of brace holds the fan on the cpu

February 27, 2011 at 10:12:25
Specs: Windows XP Prof
I need to remove the brace holding the heat sink to the cpu. How do I unhook it? It has a long bar that hooks over a square knob and then goes across the middle of the heat sink and somehow hooks on the other side(this is the part I am not sure about because I can not see it)

See More: what kind of brace holds the fan on the cpu

Report •

February 27, 2011 at 11:22:15
All heatsinks connect differently. It depends on the CPU make/model & the heatsink make/model. You have provided zero info about either. It appears you're describing an older AMD heatsink, but I'm not 100% sure. You will probably need a screwdriver or a small socket/nut driver to undo the locking clip.

Why are you removing it in the 1st place? Once you break the thermal bond between the CPU & heatsink, both the top of the CPU & bottom of the heatsink will need to be thoroughly cleaned, then a fresh layer of thermal compound will need to be applied. The application method varies between CPU models & whether it's a single or multi-core CPU. Make sure you have a tube of thermal paste BEFORE you remove the heatsink. Proper application of the paste is critical. If you do it incorrectly, the system will become unstable & may not even boot up. Also, the old compound can NOT be reused.

You can find the applications instructions at the following site. You will have to select your CPU make/model to view the correct instructions:


Report •

February 27, 2011 at 11:31:29

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question