sudden power loss on 2 different motherboards

February 13, 2011 at 22:35:08
Specs: Windows 7, Phenom X4 Quad core
Recently I had an issue with my computer losing total power. I tried all the conventional tests and even though the power supply was old it would still work when I hooked it up to another computer. The problem seemed to be that the board was not recieving power rather I pushed the power button or tested it outside the case and tripped the switches with a pen. To play it safe I bought a new power supply and a new board and less than 2 hours after install the problem occurred again and destroyed that board as well with the same symptons. I tried changing memory clearing the cmos buying a new battery and still no change. I'm using my kids computer plugged into a different electrical outlet instead of the power strip I was using and so far so good. I'm trying to figure out if I overloaded my power strip and caused a surge or if my processor is damaged. I check the core temps periodically and they are within normal range. I'm not using the same processor now I was using before as that is still sitting aside inside the old board. I recently moved and in the place I had before I had everything seperated into 2 power strips in 2 different electrical outlets when I moved without thinking I put everything into 1 power strip which is what I am thinking is the cause but I would like another opinion before I go buying a 3rd board for the same cpu. If it helps here were my system specs:

Motherboard: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 Quad-core 2.8 GHz
Memory: 4GB DDR2 6400
Onboard Audio and Video was on both boards however I bought an external video card for the first one as I didn't like the graphics.

I also changed cases when I bought this last board thinking there was a problem with the case wiring and yes I made sure the board was not touching the bottom of the case.

If someone can help me figure this out I would really appreciate it

See More: sudden power loss on 2 different motherboards

Report •

February 14, 2011 at 10:54:21
First I would recommend getting an electrical tester and test that the outlet you are plugging into does not have an error in it's wiring or a faulty ground. If someone changed the outlet or did other wiring in the house you could have a reversal between line and neutral or an improper or missing ground connection. A lamp or a power drill will not really care, but this condition is a hazard and your power supply can be affected by it (it might just cut out and probably is fine). You can get a simple tester at any electrical supply store or hardware store that just plugs in and will show you with colored LED's if you have a problem. If you do have a problem, you may want to get an electrician to fix it right.

Your power strip should have a 15 Amp circuit breaker should you overload it, but 2 computers, 2 monitors, printer, etc. will not come close to overloading it though you can check the reset button if it has one. Power strips and their circuit breakers do go bad though so you can try using a different one on a different circuit and you should however be using a surge protected power strip to offer some protection for your electronics.

You have to be a little bit crazy to keep you from going insane.

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question