Overheating or not? HELP!

October 14, 2010 at 09:10:59
Specs: N/A
Hi, it's my first time building a rig, with a help of a friend, as I don't really know much bout anything.
Recently I had my PC switched on for half a day and there was a burning smell. I was unable to
check on it as I wasn't at home and had someone to switch it off for me. And few days later, while I
was encoding a ripped DVD I decided to check my temp using Everest sensor, and was surprised
to see my CPU and other CPU Cores temp to be 63 deg celcius. My friend had told me it was normal
and that I should be worried if it gets above 70 deg instead. I did a search online and found that
it shouldn't be the case, and I'm very worried. The idle temp for all components are usually
34-39 deg celcius. Can someone tell me if my system is overheating? And why is it happening?

Here are the specs of my rig
Aerocool CyborgX Casing w/ 3 fans (front, side, back)
Intel Core i5-760 Processor (2.8GHz/8m Cache)
Asustek P7P55D LGA1156 Main Board
1 x Kingston HyperX PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz 2GB
Western Digital Blue Caviar 1TB 7200rpm
Samsung DVD Writer
MSI GTX460 Hawk 1GB
Cooler Master 650W PSU


See More: Overheating or not? HELP!

Report •

#1
October 14, 2010 at 12:00:56
63c isn't idle, u were doing something "encoding a ripped DVD"
using everest u can know your cpu underload temp. Open everest then Tools>System Stability Test then system stability test-everest window appear, untick "stress system memory" and click start, let the test run for 30minutes and post the highest cpu temp.

Report •

#2
October 14, 2010 at 16:49:19
Oh what I meant was my temp when idle was 34-39deg. And by the
way I usually run my PC on maximum saving mode with the EPU-6 Engine
on Asus.

Thanks for the instruction, I will try that tomorrow and post.


Report •

#3
October 15, 2010 at 07:08:29
Your temps are fine.

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
October 15, 2010 at 07:13:07
temperatures are okay (thumbs up)

computers are a second home
NVIDIA GeForce
toxict51


Report •

#5
October 15, 2010 at 08:23:21
I agree about the temps, but what about the burning smell ?

Report •

#6
October 15, 2010 at 11:23:58
the burning smell could be from his pc or not from his pc it could possibly be the power supply

computers are a second home
NVIDIA GeForce
toxict51


Report •

#7
October 15, 2010 at 19:02:45
Use that god given nose and sniff out the problem!...seriously, try to track down where its coming from. If your SURE its coming from inside your computer, open it up and see if you can notice anything obvious. (anything melted, abnormally hot wires?)

Intel P4 640 w/HT 3.20GHz
2GB DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400
Nvidia GeForce 9600GT 256-bit, 512MB GDDR3
23" LG Flatron


Report •

#8
October 17, 2010 at 05:43:41
I ran the System Stability test already the highest temp shown on some CPU cores
was 71deg celcius. As for the burning smell, I think it was the smell of new hardwares
getting warmed up or is there such a thing?

Report •

#9
October 17, 2010 at 13:08:20
U have nothing to worry.

Report •

#10
October 17, 2010 at 15:28:19
Okay thanks for the help guys!

Report •

Ask Question