|Hi Everybody, I have the problem to have some games up and running in expected quality, I am quite sure that the problem is the CPU.|
Can you please check following configuration and answer questions below?
Motherboard D915PBL Intel
Chipset Intel 915
CPU : Pentium 4 540 @ 3.37 GHz (OC 3.2 GHz),LGA775
L2 1MB/FSB 800MHz/90nm/HT
RAM : (512 MB + 512 MB)Dual Channel + 1GB at 548 MHz (533 OC)
Graphics NVIDIA 8800 GT 512 MB + 768 MB shared
Everything in Vista set on performance including resolution, no residental shields from antivirus software are enabled, system is clean installation, virus free.
1) Can I overclock the system somehow? Since it's Intel based I don't think there could be many opps to really overclock except burn-in in bios (which gives up to 5% only)
2) If I will get Pentium 4 Extreme (840) with 2 MB L2 cache at 3.2 GHz again, can I expect improvement high/medium/low/none?
3) With current system, does my 8800 GT runs at maximum performance or is it limited by low-end processor?
4) Does it make sense to get additional RAM? In idle status I have 1.5 GB free, and if I want to run Unreal Tournament 3 I have still some 700 - 900 MB free without any hard-drive swapping
5) For those who are gamers: Is it possible that DOOM 3 is not smooth at all on medium settings? And what about Unreal Tournament 3? I get like 10 - 25 FPS and it doesn't seem to be too much different when I enable most of the options for better details.
Guys, thanks for the answers in advance, I know that computer is nothing shiny but I would like to make it running as I am investing lot of money to my primary machine, this one is for LAN actions at home and I would like to squeeze maximum from that.