I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 (4 years old now), Windows XP SP3, CPU Intel T2400 1.83Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI Mobility X1400 (256Mb). 6 months ago I started having the following problem:
After the boot, the computer starts normally, runs absolutely fine, but after 5 to 10 minutes it slows down at a fantastic rate! It becomes unbelievably sluggish, examples:
- simply refreshing the desktop takes 3-4 seconds;
- all movies/videos frames are slow, sounds go ahead;
- even typing a sentence in this post takes me a while - takes long for letters to "show up" after typing on keyboard;
- opening folders seems slow (but acceptable), however scrolling through them is a pain!
- web pages take long to open, navigating the web is awful;
However! I have noticed that I can eventually get the computer running after 20-30 reboots. I literally keep on rebooting and waiting till it "breaks down" and eventually after lots of these attempts it will work fine - and i mean it, it simply flies like a brand new laptop!!! And it's all good till I shut it down again, and then I have the problem again...As a matter of fact, I once had it running for 1 month without shutting it down - simply did not want to go through the reboots again.
Again, I boot the computer, runs smootly, 5 minutes later it crashes. At the moment of crash, it seems that especially the user-related programs go up proportionately in mem usage, and the cpu usage jumps chaotically from 50 to 100%, that is, even with no programs running, it will jump like this! Lastly, the crash happens absolutely!!! regardless of the activity. Meaning, whether I run programs or not, it eventually crashes.
What I have done:
- registry cleaner doesnt help
- updating DirectX didn't seem to help;
- cleaning background processes didnt help;
- even after reinstalling windows, I had the same problem;
I suspect it is a hardware failure, but as you can see, I can eventually get the computer run like a brand new baby! That is why I am so confused. I am hopeless now, as i dont have the money to buy a new laptop. Can anyone help me please! Thanks guys!