|Hi all, im new here, and i really need some help|
i have a windows XP, which was working fine, my brother came to use it, he says he felt the computer was slow, so he restarted it (we usually put it on hibernate, but this time he restarted it), he says when the windows was going to boot, there was a message or a screen which said there was some errors on E drive (this is the drive which windows is installed on), and that it needed to scan the drive, my brother scanned it and now it's acting very wierd.
some of the problems i have:
1. it only opens some programs (e.g. Firefox, Fifa 11) and it does not open some other programs (e.g. Yahoo messenger)
2. in the "Printers and Faxes" folder, all the printers installed are there, but i can not set any of them to "Default printer"
3. i installed one of the printers a few months ago, and back then, it said i had to register the printer within 5 days, and i did register it
and now again it's saying that i should register the printer within 5 days
4. since i live in UK, the '@' key is not on the same key as '2' rather its on the same key that the ' sign is on. i had this problem the first time i installed XP, but i sorted it out. and now it has taken the setting back to what it was
5. i can clearly see it has taken many (if not all) of the settings back, for example my cursor is moving slower (but i had set it to move faster)
6. the desktop's wallpaper is blue, i can change the color of it but it doesnt let me put a picture there
7. photoshop doesnt recognize any printers and therefore doesnt let me print anything
and the list goes on
it seems like as if it's in some sort of safe mode (?)
but it's not in safe mode
i would LOVE to avoid re installing the OS, because i have some programs on here which i have lost the CDs for