My PC: vpr matrix 2020
-Intel D845BG MB, pentium 4 2.0 GHz
-100GB Western Digital HD, IDE/ATA
-nVidia GeForce2 GTS-V 64MB graphic card
-10/100 Intel network interface card
-a CD-RW drive 32x12x40
-a DVD-ROM drive 16x
-a 3.5" floppy drive
Recently I had to reinstall OS from an OEM Windows XP full version because I couldn't get in Windows after loading OS from the Recovery CDs. It said it couldn't login Windows because of new hardware or software... Reformatted the HD, finally got Windows XP to install and got in Windows, but now things are crawling. Note: The XP CD also installed the latest SP3. Tried to update drivers for: Intel INF Update Utility, Intel Application Accelerator for Intel 845 Chipset. Didn't seem to make a dent. What's wrong? Why are things so slow??
Here's the history...
* Seem to have had a virus on PC, Spacefiller (even with McAfee running!). Couldn't login Windows even with safemode.
* Disconnected this original HD and reinstalled OS on a WD 40GB HD using OEM Recovery CDs (all peripheral devices left in). Got in Windows XP. Things seemed to run fine.
* Connected the original HD as a slave. Got in Windows with master HD. Things also seemed to run OK. Copied all data files to CDs. Ran out of CDs, put the rest of data files over the master HD. Reformatted original HD in NTFS (WD 100GB). Logged off.
* Reconnected original HD only and reinstalled OS using OEM Recovery CDs. Got in Windows. Loaded drivers for monitor and laser printer. PC seemed to run as normal. Logged off.
* Reconnected second HD as slave. Everything went south from there. Couldn't get in Windows XP with either drive then, not even the login screen. Just the screen message about new hardware or new software.
Of course, while doing all these things I had to get in the BIOS to verify or reset some settings. This is sooo messed up!! Thought a clean install would work, but it didn't really. The PC is going at a snail pace :(
I'd appreciate some guidance at this point. Did the BIOS mess up?? Where should I start from here?