User Can't Connect to Google.com

April 23, 2009 at 08:54:58
Specs: Windows XP, 1.66Ghz/1GB
Hi, I have a user who is unable to connect to Google.com. I've checked and verified TCP/IP and DNS settings and made sure Proxy settings were correct. I've also tried running ipconfig /flushdns and ensured the site wasn't blocked anywhere in Internet Explorer 7.

I can ping the site and get to the Google homepage if I use the IP address, but searching will come up with an IE can't display the webpage message.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.


See More: User Cant Connect to Google.com

Report •


#1
April 23, 2009 at 09:01:49
rename the hosts file to hosts.old and try the access again. If this works remove the google entry in the hosts file which will look something like this

127.0.0.1 google.com

Or review whatever spyware checker you are using deny list for a google.com or google ip address.


Report •

#2
April 23, 2009 at 10:08:14
There's no entry for google in the hosts file. It just has the default:

127.0.0.1 local host

It sounds more like a DNS issue to me, but all the settings are correct. I can try reinstalling IE7 or use Firefox ( I have a feeling Firefox will work fine). I just wanted to see if there were any other suggestions before doing that.


Report •

#3
April 23, 2009 at 12:19:05
if it is a dns issue, which your isp has to resolve, you can test by doing a nslookup google.com. If successful its not a dns issue.

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
April 23, 2009 at 13:15:49
nslookup www.google.com

If returns correct IP and you have renamed hosts file the last two choices would be maybe an IPv6 issue or some malware affecting browser. (never heard of either)

"Best Practices", Event viewer, host file, perfmon, antivirus, anti-spyware, Live CD's, backups, are in my top 10


Report •

#5
April 23, 2009 at 13:23:22
don't forget to repeat checking the deny list of a spyware/malware checker :-)

Or perhaps a entry in a software firewall is doing the blocking.


Report •

#6
April 23, 2009 at 13:54:39
There are no entries in Symantec 11 for google.com being denied. The only firewall installed is Windows firewall and it's disabled. I could get to google through Firefox with no problem. It's an issue with IE.

Thanks.


Report •


Ask Question