Yes, this is for XP SP3. I have another computer which happens to have that OS. Anyway, last fall I couldn't get updates at all unless I downloaded the IE8 cumulative update for XP for October and November. I had to download it manually since there was an issue at Microsoft and manual updates from the update site would not work at all; the site would endlessly look for updates. I'm sure some of you remember this problem. I downloaded the cumulative IE8 updates manually and then set updates to automatic. Everything's been OK since until I tried the last batch of updates. They didn't download and they just disappeared from the updates list and wont come back. Malicious software tool for May was among them. I guess Microsoft is having issues again. By the way, last fall I had to do some registry updates also to get Windows updates to work. The Windows update site corrupted the registry somehow with incorrect settilngs. Anyway, I did try manual updates and it's back to the same behavior; searches for updates for a long time and never finds anything.