|I have a desktop that I built from a bare bones kit a few months ago. It was working perfect until about a week ago it would shut down during boot up every now and then, gradually it got to the point where it shuts down EVERY TIME it is booting up. It does boot up in safe mode, however. Here is a list of the things I tried to do.|
0) performed a system restore
1) Took out the power supply and replaced with one from another functioning computer.
2) Took out the video card and used the onboard video card.
3) Tried using 1 stick of ram at a time, the used ram from another computer.
4) replaced the hard drive and installed a new XP OS (used a new cd since I lose the original).
5) cleaned the heat sink (didn't have much dust on it)
6) Pulled out some of my hair and wore my lucky shoes.
It still gets to the point where it shows the XP logo and is loading the OS and then the power instantaneously shuts down. In safe mode, it starts up fine. Is it a bios problem? I don't know how a bios problem waits 3 months to surface. Is the motherboard messed up somehow?
Something else just popped into my head, I recently moved to a new apartment (about 2 weeks ago) could the power outlets be weak?