|So, here's where I'm at:|
Again, I would like to point out that these symptoms only happen with the My Computer window. Once I have drilled down deeper, everything is fine, but any attempt to access the My Computer window either initially or "backward" from a deeper window or even when restoring the My Computer window from the Task Bar will cause the delay.
I disconnected the system from the network and unplugged my HP All-In-One printer, which has card slots for photo cards. This had no impact on the response time of the My Computer window.
I ran Ad-Aware 2008, Spy-Bot S&R and CA AntiSpyware. Other than a bunch of tracking cookies, nothing significant was found by any application. This had no impact on the response time of the My Computer window.
I run a CA Anti-virus full system scan every night, so I'm pretty sure the system is virus-free.
I ran CCleaner, including the registry cleaner. A number of items were found and in general the system seems to run a bit smoother. As far as the My Computer window, the initial response time for items to appear in the window appears to have improved from 15 - 20 seconds to 7 - 8 seconds. However, the delay before I can access any of the items in the My Computer window remains at 15 - 20 seconds. There is even a delay before I can drag the window around my screen. If I grabbed the title bar and move my mouse, nothing happens for a few seconds and then the window jumps to the new position. After the 15 - 20 second delay, I can drag the window around as smoothly as one would expect.
Now here is an interesting addition:
Before I left for work this morning I logged into an account that has not been used on the system for many, many months - maybe as long as a year. This was non-admin account; while my account has admin rights. Here’s what’s interesting:
The items in the My Computer window appeared almost instantly and were almost as instantly available for use.
This either adds an additional layer of complexity or may point me towards a solution. I have 2 other systems that are configured similarly – I have an admin account on the system, but the kids don’t. I’ll have to play with these a little more and see if I can narrow this down.
It looks like it might be account specific, as opposed to a systemic problem.